FM Global

www.fmglobal.com
  www.fmglobal.com
There are newer employer reviews for FM Global

Great opportunities and experience for interns seeking a strong company in the market as reviewed by a former intern.

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Johnston, RI
Former Employee - Business Analyst in Johnston, RI

I worked at FM Global

Pros

I was actually an 8 month intern at the company but from the start of the second week there wasn't any distinction among co-workers other than my immediate team. You are given almost the same opportunities and respect that full time employees are given and upper management are easily accessible and it's not uncommon for an employee to sign into the office instant messaging and start up a chat from same level employees to senior management. I was fortunate to be able to go out and meet people from other departments and overall each encounter was rewarding and questions no matter how small was answered and business knowledge was always being shared. Also working in the IT department it was a great experience overall with being closely involved with new changes and deployments of hardware and applications.

Cons

Self motivation is definitely encouraged and those who lack that and would rather have work dumped on them will be disappointed. You have to challenge yourself to identify things you want to change and be willing to go to your manager or supervisor and express yourself and give ideas. Another downside because it's located in Rhode Island, the area and most of the employees are actually aiming for retirement and a quiet place. This in itself would be a turnoff from anyone fresh out of college looking for something enjoying outside of work. Also those looking to really use brand new technology will have to wait a bit till the company moves over since from my time there the company recently upgraded from office 2000 to office 2003. I feel software technology just takes a while to catch up but being in IT you are given opportunities to request hardware such as laptops and a development machine should you need one.

One of my advice to senior management is though they are easily accessible, sometimes it's difficult when they are always running around. Also many of my senior management I encountered I felt out of touch with what the current state of the company is like technology and capability and instead gave grand visions of new applications. They should be a bit more realistic. Also I feel there's way too many consultants in the company as oppose to full time and while they may be cheaper it would be ideal for the company to make good consultants full time or focus on their employee's individual development and fund time and money for classes to develop their skills.

146 Other Employee Reviews for FM Global (View Most Recent)

It's a good Company if you work here at the end of the career. Like someone who is nearing retirement.

Former Employee - Developer/Analyst Intern in Johnston, RI
    Former Employee - Developer/Analyst Intern in Johnston, RI

I worked at FM Global

Pros

1. Mid-Size company. Opportunities for career growth.

Cons

Most of the employees are above 30 and old.Not fast paced. Very layed back attitude. It needs some energy boost.

none

More upsides than not

Current Employee - Field Engineer in Woodland, CA
    Current Employee - Field Engineer in Woodland, CA

I have been working at FM Global

Pros

- great experience in the front end
    - large company that seems to care about its employees
    - good people and good support staff at all levels. management is typically looking out for employees.
    - good work environment without extensive office politics
    - telecommuting and company car
    - full provision of tools necessary to complete work
    - engineering driven and engineers feel appreciated for working at an insurance company
    - above average benefit packages which still includes a pension program which rewards employees for longevity and loyalty
    - 5 weeks incentive pay

Cons

- lack of socializing opportunities for field employees
    - travel requirement can be extensive and demanding at times

n/a