FM Global
www.fmglobal.com Johnston, RI 1000 to 5000 Employees

Great opportunities and experience for interns seeking a strong company in the market as reviewed by a former intern.

Business Analyst (Former Employee)
Johnston, RI

I worked at FM Global

ProsI was actually an 8 month intern at the company but from the start of the second week there wasn't any distinction among co-workers other than my immediate team. You are given almost the same opportunities and respect that full time employees are given and upper management are easily accessible and it's not uncommon for an employee to sign into the office instant messaging and start up a chat from same level employees to senior management. I was fortunate to be able to go out and meet people from other departments and overall each encounter was rewarding and questions no matter how small was answered and business knowledge was always being shared. Also working in the IT department it was a great experience overall with being closely involved with new changes and deployments of hardware and applications.

ConsSelf motivation is definitely encouraged and those who lack that and would rather have work dumped on them will be disappointed. You have to challenge yourself to identify things you want to change and be willing to go to your manager or supervisor and express yourself and give ideas. Another downside because it's located in Rhode Island, the area and most of the employees are actually aiming for retirement and a quiet place. This in itself would be a turnoff from anyone fresh out of college looking for something enjoying outside of work. Also those looking to really use brand new technology will have to wait a bit till the company moves over since from my time there the company recently upgraded from office 2000 to office 2003. I feel software technology just takes a while to catch up but being in IT you are given opportunities to request hardware such as laptops and a development machine should you need one.

Advice to Senior ManagementOne of my advice to senior management is though they are easily accessible, sometimes it's difficult when they are always running around. Also many of my senior management I encountered I felt out of touch with what the current state of the company is like technology and capability and instead gave grand visions of new applications. They should be a bit more realistic. Also I feel there's way too many consultants in the company as oppose to full time and while they may be cheaper it would be ideal for the company to make good consultants full time or focus on their employee's individual development and fund time and money for classes to develop their skills.

More upsides than not

Field Engineer (Current Employee)
Woodland, CA

I have been working at FM Global

Pros: - great experience in the front end - large company that seems to care about its employees - good people and good support staff at all levels.… Cons: - lack of socializing opportunities for field employees - travel requirement… Advice to Senior Management: n/a Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

It's a good Company if you work here at the end of the career. Like someone who is nearing retirement.

Developer/Analyst Intern (Former Employee)
Johnston, RI

I worked at FM Global

Pros: 1. Mid-Size company. Opportunities for career growth. Cons: Most of the employees are above 30 and old.Not fast… Advice to Senior Management: none More

There are newer reviews on FM Global.

Worked for FM Global? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at FM Global reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for FM Global CEO Shivan S. Subramaniam. All reviews posted anonymously by FM Global employees.