FM Global

www.fmglobal.com
  www.fmglobal.com
There are newer employer reviews for FM Global

Certainly among some of the best places to work! Despite some disadvantages.

I have been working at FM Global full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits are outstanding; the company definitely invests a great deal of time and money in keeping employees healthy, happy, secure, and able to maintain a good work/life balance. Certainly above average in this category.

All of the people I've worked with are also very skilled and passionate about what they do, and communicate and work together well; fostering a positive, productive and friendly work atmosphere.

The work also feels very important, meaningful, and is nothing like working for a typical insurance company (I have in the past), and most of the time I even forget that it is one. There's a clear emphasis on research, science, and engineering.

Cons

The salaries and salary increases are said to be competitive, but seem as though they may tend to be slightly below average (based on discussions with co-workers). Certainly not above average, as the benefits.

Advancement through the company is more difficult than advertised. The opportunities are certainly there, but the competition for those opportunities is high, and the people chosen for them is very few. It doesn't seem too uncommon to end up stagnant for 5-7+ years, even with hard work and great reviews, before receiving any kind of a reasonable promotion.

This would quite literally be the perfect place to work with relatively few, and relatively inexpensive changes.

The current salary and merit increase system could stand to be relooked at, with the outlook of aiming to be more than just "competitive" (aka, average -ish). The benefit program has been a great example where they actively seek to be among the leaders in the industry; I don't see why this mindset couldn't be carried over to salaries.

The job progression/promotion charts, and ability to potentially move between different areas, also could be improved. The upward mobility just seems to be more difficult and more rare than it should be.

Though, honestly, either one of those two would likely be enough to greatly improve the outlook on an employee's future and career with the company. Don't get me wrong, it is a fantastic place to work and I am happy here, but if I had to be honest, these would be my concerns.

146 Other Employee Reviews for FM Global (View Most Recent)

Limited career opportunities and development

Current Employee - Consultant Engineer II in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Consultant Engineer II in Plano, TX

I have been working at FM Global full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility, company car, bonuses now and then

Cons

Excessive travel, poor raises, poor compensation compared to workload, low job satisfaction

lots of training. interesting and intense work.

I worked at FM Global full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Inspecting clients properties. learning new processes and construction.

Cons

reports are excessive, too detailed and at time irrelevant to loss control.

There are newer employer reviews for FM Global