FM Global
www.fmglobal.com Johnston, RI 1000 to 5000 Employees

Certainly among some of the best places to work! Despite some disadvantages.

ProsThe benefits are outstanding; the company definitely invests a great deal of time and money in keeping employees healthy, happy, secure, and able to maintain a good work/life balance. Certainly above average in this category.

All of the people I've worked with are also very skilled and passionate about what they do, and communicate and work together well; fostering a positive, productive and friendly work atmosphere.

The work also feels very important, meaningful, and is nothing like working for a typical insurance company (I have in the past), and most of the time I even forget that it is one. There's a clear emphasis on research, science, and engineering.

ConsThe salaries and salary increases are said to be competitive, but seem as though they may tend to be slightly below average (based on discussions with co-workers). Certainly not above average, as the benefits.

Advancement through the company is more difficult than advertised. The opportunities are certainly there, but the competition for those opportunities is high, and the people chosen for them is very few. It doesn't seem too uncommon to end up stagnant for 5-7+ years, even with hard work and great reviews, before receiving any kind of a reasonable promotion.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis would quite literally be the perfect place to work with relatively few, and relatively inexpensive changes.

The current salary and merit increase system could stand to be relooked at, with the outlook of aiming to be more than just "competitive" (aka, average -ish). The benefit program has been a great example where they actively seek to be among the leaders in the industry; I don't see why this mindset couldn't be carried over to salaries.

The job progression/promotion charts, and ability to potentially move between different areas, also could be improved. The upward mobility just seems to be more difficult and more rare than it should be.

Though, honestly, either one of those two would likely be enough to greatly improve the outlook on an employee's future and career with the company. Don't get me wrong, it is a fantastic place to work and I am happy here, but if I had to be honest, these would be my concerns.

Rewarding career opportunities, stable employment and good benefits

Account Manager (Current Employee)
    Malvern, PA

I have been working at FM Global full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: Good training and room for growth at FM Global are… Cons: Corporate politics can stagnate innovation just like any large company. The… Advice to Senior Management: Corporate needs new blood with fresh operations experience. It's hard to attract talent to home office due to it's location in Rhode Island… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Limited career opportunities and development

Consultant Engineer II (Current Employee)
    Plano, TX

I have been working at FM Global full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Flexibility, company car, bonuses now and then Cons: Excessive travel, poor raises, poor compensation compared to workload, low… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on FM Global.

Worked for FM Global? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at FM Global reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for FM Global CEO Shivan S. Subramaniam. All reviews posted anonymously by FM Global employees.