FOX Sports

www.foxsports.com
  www.foxsports.com
There are newer employer reviews for FOX Sports

it's not what you know but who you know

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at FOX Sports

Pros

as a freelancer, there is a lot of money thrown around

Cons

unfortunately, it's a bit hard to move into any positions because no one leaves them

54 Other Employee Reviews for FOX Sports (View Most Recent)

Worst place I've ever worked: cronyism, favoritism, contempt for employees

Current Employee - Video Editor in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Video Editor in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at FOX Sports

Pros

If you love sports you get to watch a lot of it and talk to others about it all day.

Except for when you're on a deadline it's mostly a mellow work environment, as long as you don't screw anything up. (I made it a point not to.) One thing is that management doesn't come around breathing down your neck. But that's also a negative in the sense that they also have no clue what you do or how well you do it so they just base everything in cronyism instead of paying attention to such things as good job performance or work ethic or accomplishments.

Cons

Remember this is Fox Sports Net not Fox Sports - Net is the cable division - they are 2 different animals.
    I've never seen such unfair management, ONLY based on favoritism not on skill or reliability or ANYthing else - just cronyism through and through.

The atmosphere is like a high school, with wanna be jocks who could never make it on a sports team so they spend every waking moment absorbed in "their" teams and players.

All that is fine, but it's way over the top here. I mean, these people can't have a normal conversation outside of sports, they have only one-track minds and it's only on the track of sports, 24 hours a day.

The management does not "believe in" seniority so if you have been there 5 years or 10 years or 3 weeks it makes no difference, you will get a lousy schedule while the new person gets a good one and if you don't like it they'll tell you that you can get another job, they couldn't care less.

Try caring about your employees and treating them with some respect. If a person works there for more than a year or two you might try saying "Good job!" once in a while or show some appreciation. Some of that appreciation might be to give the good employees who you value some perks like better schedules or promotions. But then of course, you don't really VALUE ANY employees... We're all just expendable automatons to you.

Work experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at FOX Sports

Pros

This company is under Fox Entertainment Group and sport is a popular subject even in time of recession.

Cons

Chaotic work environment. There was no engineering meeting that allow engineers to discuss general or specific problems in the department. No department training about how our site works, not enough documentation and support. Product managers have too much power in work assignment which often do not match how the problems should be resolved, this task should be left for engineering manager.

Management allows product managers too much privilege and this is not productive in day-to-day operation for engineers since product managers do not have in-depth knowledge of Web site architecture and often delay work progress. Engineering department needs to have control of work flow and assignments. There should be more communication and training in engineering group about the site.

There are newer employer reviews for FOX Sports