There are newer employer reviews for FOX Sports

Worst place I've ever worked: cronyism, favoritism, contempt for employees

Current Employee - Video Editor in Los Angeles, CA
Current Employee - Video Editor in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at FOX Sports

Pros

If you love sports you get to watch a lot of it and talk to others about it all day.

Except for when you're on a deadline it's mostly a mellow work environment, as long as you don't screw anything up. (I made it a point not to.) One thing is that management doesn't come around breathing down your neck. But that's also a negative in the sense that they also have no clue what you do or how well you do it so they just base everything in cronyism instead of paying attention to such things as good job performance or work ethic or accomplishments.

Cons

Remember this is Fox Sports Net not Fox Sports - Net is the cable division - they are 2 different animals.
I've never seen such unfair management, ONLY based on favoritism not on skill or reliability or ANYthing else - just cronyism through and through.

The atmosphere is like a high school, with wanna be jocks who could never make it on a sports team so they spend every waking moment absorbed in "their" teams and players.

All that is fine, but it's way over the top here. I mean, these people can't have a normal conversation outside of sports, they have only one-track minds and it's only on the track of sports, 24 hours a day.

The management does not "believe in" seniority so if you have been there 5 years or 10 years or 3 weeks it makes no difference, you will get a lousy schedule while the new person gets a good one and if you don't like it they'll tell you that you can get another job, they couldn't care less.

Advice to Management

Try caring about your employees and treating them with some respect. If a person works there for more than a year or two you might try saying "Good job!" once in a while or show some appreciation. Some of that appreciation might be to give the good employees who you value some perks like better schedules or promotions. But then of course, you don't really VALUE ANY employees... We're all just expendable automatons to you.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Work experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at FOX Sports

Pros

This company is under Fox Entertainment Group and sport is a popular subject even in time of recession.

Cons

Chaotic work environment. There was no engineering meeting that allow engineers to discuss general or specific problems in the department. No department training about how our site works, not enough documentation and support. Product managers have too much power in work assignment which often do not match how the problems should be resolved, this task should be left for engineering manager.

Advice to Management

Management allows product managers too much privilege and this is not productive in day-to-day operation for engineers since product managers do not have in-depth knowledge of Web site architecture and often delay work progress. Engineering department needs to have control of work flow and assignments. There should be more communication and training in engineering group about the site.

2. Great environment, a "stay for the people" place

Current Employee - Intern in West Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Intern in West Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at FOX Sports

Pros

The employees are all very nice people. Everyone is very friendly. This is especially great when you have to talk to different departments. It is a respectable company, and you enjoy the matters you deal with. People in my building included producers and other talent, and it was a very relaxed atmosphere. You can find people who are passionate about what they're doing or about sports. It's enjoyable to see everyone tuned in on their tv. The benefits are great -- free screening, discounts (merchandise, gym, dry cleaning).

Cons

You will likely hit traffic either on the 10 or on the 405, unless you travel very early in the morning or closer to lunch. L.A. traffic is the worse, and can make you wonder why you're going to work. Other than its location, there is all the security checks that you have to bear and wait through when working with an entertainment company or in a big building.

Advice to Management

I didn't get a chance to work closely with Senior Management, so I can't really say whether or not there's anything they can improve on to ease frustration or help make things more effective. People get their things done, though.