Summer Intern at FTC

Former Intern - Summer Intern in Washington, DC
Former Intern - Summer Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at FTC as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Free foods every other Friday Intern works 8 hours per day.

Cons

Works involve reading similar consumer's complaints everyday. It is endless.

Other Employee Reviews for FTC

FTC's Honors Paralegal program is a great opportunity for hands-on law/gov work.

Former Employee - Honors Paralegal in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Honors Paralegal in Washington, DC

I worked at FTC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked in the Honors Paralegal program for two years. Great place to start a career & gain first-hand knowledge of work in government/policy/law. Opportunities try your hand in a lot of different roles. I was in Bureau of Consumer Protection.

Cons

Most often leads to grad school - unlikely to find internal options for advancement. There's a 4-year max for the program; I wouldn't recommend staying more than 2 years without a great reason. Also, your managers are all lawyers - their management skills will be hit or miss.

A great place to assume responsibility early in your legal career.

Current Employee - Staff Attorney
    Current Employee - Staff Attorney

I have been working at FTC full-time

Pros

Junior attorneys get great opportunities to contribute to the FTC's work -- be it on high- or low-profile cases. While it's a small agency, it's big enough to afford opportunities for career advancement within the agency. The FTC has a great international reputation, and FTC attorneys travel abroad to participate in technical assistant projects. There is a special AUSA rotation.

Cons

It is political . . . but that was to be expected. Support staff is stretched thin, which leads to attorneys doing non-legal admin tasks (which is not an efficient use of agency resources).

Advice to Management

Getting more support staff would allow attorneys to spend more hours practicing law.