Six years

Current Employee - Senior Consultant
Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at FTI Consulting full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Management is very casual. There is not much "red tape" in regards to PTO and such. Benefits (401k, PTO amounts, health care, etc) are all very generous.

Cons

There is no formal learning or education path.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Fantastic Coworkers, Factious Upper Management, Fantastic Business Model

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at FTI Consulting full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

As a software engineer, working in the Seattle office has a fantastic balance of work and life. Folks are kind, fun, friendly and personable. Few engineers take the day to day grind so seriously they can't break for a game of cards at the lunch table. If you can get job satisfaction from punching the clock doing assigned tasks on a monolithic, feature-rich, legacy-bound, and technologically diverse software offering, this is the place for you

Cons

The parent company treats all employees as consultants -- expendable, replaceable, and worth only what they can do for you in the moment. Knowing this, it is possible to be successful (if not appreciated) by simply doing your tasks and keeping your head down. Innovation is pushed, skunk works projects are unheard of (unless directed by upper management), and frequently engineers are placed between disagreeing upper managers. In all, this can be a very frustrating experience for an engineer beyond the entry level or not near retirement.

Advice to Management

I believe that FTI Consulting and FTI Technology will continue to be highly successful. The business needs do not require content or exceptional software engineers -- revenue is driven through IT and consultants in the cloud offerings. To that end, I believe management is doing right by the quarter-to-quarter bottom lines.

Great place to grow, if you find yourself in the right office...

Former Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at FTI Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You will be working with knowledgeable, senior professionals. Some are eager to develop their peers, others not so much. The offices are all reasonably stocked with supplies and snacks to keep you going. At least in my experience, my senior management was eager to throw me in the deep end and see what happens. I loved the challenge.

Cons

It's consulting, you have to be flexible. Some weeks you may only work 40 hours, others much more. If you don't like traveling, it likely isn't for you. There isn't much of a guide to climbing the ladder, and the policies between offices are not consistent. It's a publicly traded company, so they can be stingy on bonus' and salary adjustments. I've never had to barter so much in my career.

Advice to Management

Keep wasting money on sport sponsorships; don't invest any of it back into your personnel!