Facebook

www.facebook.com

Fun at the engineer to engineer level, but brutally long hours and badly disconnected front-line management.

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Palo Alto, CA
Former Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

Huge corporate upside potential (but might not apply to new hires as of 2012).

Fun work environment (free quality food, game rooms, frivolity encouraged, etc.).

High impact in terms of people using your code and recognition.

Good opportunities to try new ideas and move teams.

Cons

Brutally long hours for many, frequent pressure to delay or cancel vacation plans (even outside of release deadlines).

Harsh, unjust, and badly cross-team calibrated reviews coupled with frequent firings so that the stick is very close to the carrot.

It has now grown large enough that internal corporate politics have seeped in.

Management, at all levels, fixated on lots of shiny new features, no matter how broken, and lack of respect for necessary work getting done.

Other reviews for Facebook

Won't ever have an opportunity like this ever again in my career - phenomenal company and people

Current Employee - Staffing  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Staffing in New York, NY

Pros

Smartest and most passionate people I have ever worked with
    Company means so much to so many - humbled to be an employee here

Cons

High expectations - good problem to have

Busiest but most rewarding time of my career

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

- Working for a product that's changing the world
    - Working alongside brilliant people
    - Casual dress!
    - Amazing benefits (food, PTO, laundry)
    - Lots of nice people
    - Celebrity encounters almost weekly (Oprah, Katy Perry, Tyra Banks, Obama)
    - Everything you do has a direct impact on the company's success
    - FB really tries to be a fun place to work
    - Despite the cons below, this is the best, most rewarding and memorable job I've ever had. I would do it all over again.

Cons

- Long hours
    - No clear path for advancement. I'd been told I'd get promoted if I achieved xyz. I achieved xyz with flying colors, and still no advancement. Despite being a top performer in my group, I was not promoted once in nearly 4 years.
    - Great PTO plan, but difficult to get time off. Often you're made to feel unpatriotic to the company if you request a whole week off. One manager actually told his team they could only take long weekends.
    - The Mach 5 pace is exhilarating, but maintaining that pace 24/7 takes a toll. Several people I know developed heart issues from the constant stress.
    - Terrible middle management. Very out of touch with their teams, only looking out for their career.
    - Questioning company policies or products is frowned upon. They want you to drink the KoolAid, versus have a constructive discussion.
    - In my group, promotions were given to unqualified people simply because they were buddies with the manager. It was very much an old boys club.
    - Too many meetings and interviews. I spent a solid 7 hours a week in company/team meetings, and another 3 hours a week in interviews. That doesn't sound too terrible, until you realize the massive workload given to each employee.

- Promote from within, create more transparency with promotions
    - Encourage employees to use their PTO - we work hard, we need to recharge.
    - Encourage employees to speak up and question product design or policies. We may have new perspective. It doesn't mean we aren't still 100% dedicated to the company.

There are newer employer reviews for Facebook.

Worked for Facebook? Contribute to the Community!