Facebook

www.facebook.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Facebook

Although working more than 40 hours/week is a given, I wouldn't want to dedicate my time and effort to a better company.

Current Employee - Recruiting Lead in Menlo Park, CA
Current Employee - Recruiting Lead in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook

Pros

Facebook gives their employees the freedom to work on projects that make an impact. When you're able to work on things that affect millions and millions of people, it doesn't feel like a job, more like a purpose.

Cons

It's tough for people who aren't willing to put in the extra effort needed to succeed in a company like Facebook. Part of the culture is to work hard and ship things. If you're not good at executing on a project, it will be tough to fit in.

More transparency is always better. Employees like to know why decisions are made for us to better understand the direction of our company.

914 Other Employee Reviews for Facebook (View Most Recent)

Amazing.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook

Pros

The openness, inclusion and excitement that we all feel every day. This is truly a company where the people are without a doubt organized more around the mission than their own personal interests or potential gain. We are here because we want to change the way the world works, and the fact that we get paid to do it is amazing.

Cons

It's not a "job" - in many ways it is a life. Long hours are the norm. Hard to completely consider this a con, though, as many of those long hours are spent working on stuff you love with people you admire and befriend.

Fun at the engineer to engineer level, but brutally long hours and badly disconnected front-line management.

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Facebook

Pros

Huge corporate upside potential (but might not apply to new hires as of 2012).

Fun work environment (free quality food, game rooms, frivolity encouraged, etc.).

High impact in terms of people using your code and recognition.

Good opportunities to try new ideas and move teams.

Cons

Brutally long hours for many, frequent pressure to delay or cancel vacation plans (even outside of release deadlines).

Harsh, unjust, and badly cross-team calibrated reviews coupled with frequent firings so that the stick is very close to the carrot.

It has now grown large enough that internal corporate politics have seeped in.

Management, at all levels, fixated on lots of shiny new features, no matter how broken, and lack of respect for necessary work getting done.

There are newer employer reviews for Facebook