Facebook

There are newer employer reviews for Facebook

Structurally & Strategically Impressive, but Culturally Immature

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Facebook as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I will give credit to fb, that when I first started, I was very impressed with how organized and efficient they seemed. Everyone did their job, everyone worked hard, and everyone deserved to be there. The first I could say for any organization I have worked for.

The free shuttle is great - the drivers are nice and professional! The food is delicious and healthy. You have no excuse for eating poorly, because you always have healthy options.

Cons

It didn't take long for me to realize what should have been the obvious. Facebook culture is largely superficial and materialistic. Now this may be more prevalent in my department, but I think it's fairly standard for the company. In my first days, I met with each person on my team and made an effort to learn their communication style and how I could support them. I even scheduled follow-up meetings to address any concerns. Each week my manager met with me and gave me vague, negative feedback, but never gave me any positive feedback. The criticism never felt constructive. I asked if I could be given specific examples of what I had done wrong, so that I could improve, and none were given. Instead I was given adjectives of my personality to describe me in a negative light.

I was let go, and again given a vague explanation. Only that I had done nothing wrong. I saw at least 5 other people in in my department get let go (who were good performers) simply because they didn't fit right with the team. I tried very hard to be accepted, but felt I was not given a chance. This company cares more about how popular you are than how much work you get done. Even though I often stayed the latest, it did not matter because I was invited to less parties, happy hours, etc. and did not partake in celebrity and colleague gossip.

Encourage people to be themselves. Having a more reserved and professional demeanor is NOT a bad thing. Take the time to get to know individuals for their uniqueness. Offer concrete feedback, and highlight what your employees have achieved as well. In general, treat people with respect and worry less about how much other people like you. I think fb could do better if it felt more like an office at times, and less like a sorority/high school/summer camp.

832 Other Employee Reviews for Facebook (View Most Recent)

Every day is fun because I work with the best, most passionate and excited people

Current Employee - Product Manager in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people are amazing. Everyone is so smart and passionate about what they do that you never have negative conversations about someone wanting to get their way just because they want their way.

The culture of getting stuff done as fast as possible and trusting to individual ownership to make it work is also huge.

Cons

You will work a zillion hours and still not be done with your work.

Be careful about relying on the people you already know and trust too much. The company is getting too big to be run entirely based on trust in a few individuals.

Awesome place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Extremely competent people all around
    - Lot of energy and motivation
    - Strong sense of engineering and hacking culture
    - Clear and transparent messaging from upper management

Cons

- Lot of work so you tend to be under pressure most of the time
    - Be ready to feel average even if you have been a star at your previous job (Like I said everyone around you is really good)

There are newer employer reviews for Facebook