Facebook

www.facebook.com

Structurally & Strategically Impressive, but Culturally Immature

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsI will give credit to fb, that when I first started, I was very impressed with how organized and efficient they seemed. Everyone did their job, everyone worked hard, and everyone deserved to be there. The first I could say for any organization I have worked for.

The free shuttle is great - the drivers are nice and professional! The food is delicious and healthy. You have no excuse for eating poorly, because you always have healthy options.

ConsIt didn't take long for me to realize what should have been the obvious. Facebook culture is largely superficial and materialistic. Now this may be more prevalent in my department, but I think it's fairly standard for the company. In my first days, I met with each person on my team and made an effort to learn their communication style and how I could support them. I even scheduled follow-up meetings to address any concerns. Each week my manager met with me and gave me vague, negative feedback, but never gave me any positive feedback. The criticism never felt constructive. I asked if I could be given specific examples of what I had done wrong, so that I could improve, and none were given. Instead I was given adjectives of my personality to describe me in a negative light.

I was let go, and again given a vague explanation. Only that I had done nothing wrong. I saw at least 5 other people in in my department get let go (who were good performers) simply because they didn't fit right with the team. I tried very hard to be accepted, but felt I was not given a chance. This company cares more about how popular you are than how much work you get done. Even though I often stayed the latest, it did not matter because I was invited to less parties, happy hours, etc. and did not partake in celebrity and colleague gossip.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage people to be themselves. Having a more reserved and professional demeanor is NOT a bad thing. Take the time to get to know individuals for their uniqueness. Offer concrete feedback, and highlight what your employees have achieved as well. In general, treat people with respect and worry less about how much other people like you. I think fb could do better if it felt more like an office at times, and less like a sorority/high school/summer camp.

Moves fast, breaks things.

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time for more than a year

Pros: * High impact job, each change touches millions of people * High ownership, there's too much to do *… Cons: * Long hours, hard work can be exhausting * Very chaotic, plans can… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Every day is fun because I work with the best, most passionate and excited people

Product Manager (Current Employee) Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time for more than a year

Pros: The people are amazing. Everyone is so smart and passionate about what they do that you never have negative conversations about someone wanting to get… Cons: You will work a zillion hours and still not be… Advice to Senior Management: Be careful about relying on the people you already know and trust too much. The… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Facebook.

Worked for Facebook? Contribute to the Community!