There are newer employer reviews for Facebook

Really the best engineering experience I have hoped for

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

During the 5+ years I've worked here as an engineer, I've had really incredible and satisfying experiences. I've learned so much more than I did at my past company in a similar amount of time, have almost never been disappointed with the caliber of a co-worker (and I've worked somewhat closely with around 50 other engineers) and have gotten to contribute the product as a clip I wouldn't have believed possible. As an engineer I felt like I had a lot of control and influence over my work and the products I worked on and got to create some of the most impactful and satisfying products and features of my career, past and probably future. If you're really great at what you do or have really great product ideas, very little will interfere with you showing that quickly. New engineers are highly valued in the culture. Salary/bonus compensation has been really strong in addition to the stock compensation.

Cons

I've felt like I've been able to maintain a pretty good work life/balance (especially after the first year), but I feel like I had to work hard to make that happen. Being around many people who feel compelled to put most of their waking weekday hours into coding can be intimidating, even when you feel confident in the job you're doing and even when pressure to put in a ton of hours is rarely explicit. Engineers can definitely work reasonable hours, especially older ones with families, but you have to bring your own self-confidence to trust that you're kicking butt even if you're not putting in a ton of hours (especially during the summers when interns ratchet up the intensity around the office) Things are done very fast, which also means things can be hectic and sometimes chaotic (though this feels less and less true as the years go by), but I'd expect some culture shock for anyone coming from software companies where stability and consensus are top-priorities. Code quality has felt really good for the past 2 or so years, though this definitely didn't feel true when I started.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Amazing experience, amazing company

Current Employee - Sales Director in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Director in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Everyone there has an opportunity to make an impact. Company moves very fast and prides itself on running lean. This means autonomy and opportunity for almost every employee.

Cons

Intense environment is not for everyone. Mission driven company means many decisions are made based on relevance back to product and mission.

Advice to Management

Brag a little more: Be more active in publicly explaining your business model. You can talk publicly about how well you're doing while at the same time remaining coy and humble. Avoid Bureaucracy and Nepotism: Remember to move fast and don't let your size get in the way, it started to happen a little bit. And Don't promote people based on one person's personal goal (i.e. Sheryl's mission to help women) - it's like internet nepotism.

2. FB is a rollercoaster of openness and communication that focuses on your ability to have impact on the world.

Current Employee - Operations Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Operations Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You're treated like a human being. You're well-fed. The corporate structure is designed so you can float to where you think you can do the best work with minimal hassle. Acquiring needed equipment is low friction. Above all, we believe in what we're doing.

Cons

Base salary is a little below comparable companies. Young employee base can sometimes lack tact or manners. High density office plan presents parking issues.

Advice to Management

Scaling to tens of thousands of employees is the biggest threat to the company. Keep everyone focused and keep teams small and nimble.