There are newer employer reviews for Facebook

Best place to have a big impact

Current Employee - Director  in  Menlo Park, CA
Current Employee - Director in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- compared with its competitors (many of which have 30,000+ employees), Facebook gives people a chance to make a massive impact. I've been at the company for 4+ years and we consistently grow our number of employees far slower that the growth of our users, developers and advertisers. This gives each employee a chance to do something huge for our nearly 1billion users.
- if you are a "doer" and take accountability for things, there really is no limit to what you can accomplish

Cons

- if you love process for the sake of process (i.e. going to meetings), Facebook is not your place. It thrives on results and moving fast, and process that helps the company move fast is reward; process that results in more meetings and redundancies is not
- people at Facebook have a lot of fun, but it is a relatively serious and extremely driven place; we expect a lot out of our employees so come ready to contribue

751 Other Employee Reviews for Facebook (View Most Recent)

The world is your oyster

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Facebook full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work with smart, energetic people;
    Be empowered to pursue your ideas;
    Create great software with very little red tape;
    Supportive, collaborative environment with no politics;

Cons

We're only 1% done;
    You need to be comfortable with ambiguity;
    Still figuring out how to coordinate large projects;

Sometimes it's nice for architecture to be documented;

The best job I've ever had

Current Employee - Production Engineer  in  Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Production Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They grill you hard in the interview but once you're in, you get a lot of autonomy and freedom to make decisions about how you think things should be done. Zero bureaucracy/red tape, very few meetings, and people are encouraged to build what they think will work. Two of the common sayings there are "code wins arguments" and "what does the data say?" meaning that if people disagree about something, the debate gets resolved by looking at numerical data and/or by building something and seeing whether or not it works. This is a very fast, turn-on-a-dime, high productivity, zero BS environment. It's also a lot of fun to work there. People work hard and play hard.

Cons

The cons at Facebook mostly fall under the heading of "growing pains".

Technologically, things move so fast that the layers of the technology stack are often in flux. If you are building a system that depends on other systems at FB, be ready for them to change underneath you. Nothing stays the same for long at Facebook. Every layer of the stack changes, and changes quickly.

At the human level, the company has also grown very quickly which means many of the lower level managers are new or inexperienced or got promoted to management for being good with computers (but not necessarily with people). It can be frustrating to report to junior managers and/or people who are clueless about social skills. With that said, the higher level, more senior managers tend to be really good and their skill often "trickles down" in various ways.

Shore up the lower level management situation. Get more senior people and people with better people skills.

There are newer employer reviews for Facebook

Worked for Facebook? Contribute to the Community!