There are newer employer reviews for Facebook

The world is your oyster

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work with smart, energetic people; Be empowered to pursue your ideas; Create great software with very little red tape; Supportive, collaborative environment with no politics;

Cons

We're only 1% done; You need to be comfortable with ambiguity; Still figuring out how to coordinate large projects;

Advice to Management

Sometimes it's nice for architecture to be documented;

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Best place to have a big impact

Current Employee - Director in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- compared with its competitors (many of which have 30,000+ employees), Facebook gives people a chance to make a massive impact. I've been at the company for 4+ years and we consistently grow our number of employees far slower that the growth of our users, developers and advertisers. This gives each employee a chance to do something huge for our nearly 1billion users. - if you are a "doer" and take accountability for things, there really is no limit to what you can accomplish

Cons

- if you love process for the sake of process (i.e. going to meetings), Facebook is not your place. It thrives on results and moving fast, and process that helps the company move fast is reward; process that results in more meetings and redundancies is not - people at Facebook have a lot of fun, but it is a relatively serious and extremely driven place; we expect a lot out of our employees so come ready to contribue

2. As a Facebook engineer, you can have as much impact as you are driven to have; your opinion matters a lot!

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a software engineer, a lot of work is self driven and based on self-motivation. You are not told exactly what to do week over week. It is your job to figure out what is best to work on, what has the most impact for the company, and how to improve things. Most engineering is driven by the engineers themselves and not some sort of management. To me, this is perfect. However, if you don't like thinking about what you are doing and being critical about what is good for the company and your team, this might not be the place for you.

Cons

Facebook is all about iterating fast. This is great for our products because we can quickly get something out there and see what works and what does not. However, it means we have a lot of sketchy software and products sometimes. It also means we have to constantly be doing "cleanup" which often takes a long time. You will be under "attack" by the outside world because things "suck" even though you know they are being worked on and improved, but that takes time.