Facebook

www.facebook.com
  www.facebook.com
There are newer employer reviews for Facebook

Amazing scale, pace and culture

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I'm coming up to the end of my first quarter and continue to be blown away by how fast we can move, even compared to tiny startups. The engineering culture is aligned to enabling you to try things out, get things done and get them shipped out at an amazing rate. The perks are amazing and the management structure feels flat and low friction. Lots of smart folks and plenty of opportunities to get stuck into different areas if you feel like a change.

Work/life balance is good; lots of encouragement to take a break when you need it with a pretty high frequency of offsite events, and flexible working hours.

The onboarding process is very well put together: culture infusion from the moment you walk in the door, and you're mentored through a six week bootcamp and can be pushing code out to the website in your first week.

Cons

The flip side of the low friction management structure is that you need to take on more ownership of finding high impact work--don't expect to handed out work, you need to identify the work and then get it done. I see this as a plus, but it can make it a little difficult when you start out.

Having a high density of smart folks can make it feel more competitive than it really is, and that combined with the pretty low average age of employees can result in the occasional abrasive conversation.

Being privy to the roadmap and our plans overall but not being able to tell people about it when they interpret our steps towards our grand vision in a negative light can be frustrating.

Keep on doing what you're doing!

832 Other Employee Reviews for Facebook (View Most Recent)

Great workplace for motivated engineers

Current Employee - Research Scientist in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Research Scientist in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

1) You own your own career: choose a team and a project; switch teams when you're saturated; learn any skill you need.
    2) Very little process and bureaucracy for a company of this size.
    3) Hackathons.

Cons

1) You own your own career, which also means you have to be the one focusing on impact (and ensure it's visible) to progress.

2) The intense focus on impact can sometimes mean that longer-term, exploratory projects are harder to initiate, justify, and eventually get recognized for. Facebook is growing to the scale where a small team focused on "failing more often" (that is, crazier projects) would be beneficial.

The growing scale means that the review process starts to be more political, as upper management calibrates people the barely know. Monetary bonuses for performance, as is now becoming well known, are a poor motivator. Let's go back to a more recognition-based culture.

awesome place to work

Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Facebook full-time (less than an year)

Pros

the best place on earth to work. with the challenges u'll definitely enjoy.

Cons

heavy work hours only besides that everything is cool about fb.

There are newer employer reviews for Facebook