Facebook

www.facebook.com
There are newer employer reviews for Facebook

Great place to work

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time

Pros

Great culture where you are limited only by your ability and initiative.
Engineers get to move around the company with low friction.

Cons

Can be a little intense sometimes especially around launches. To be successful at Facebook, people need to be able to enjoy the fast pase.

None

836 Other Employee Reviews for Facebook (View Most Recent)

Amazing scale, pace and culture

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I'm coming up to the end of my first quarter and continue to be blown away by how fast we can move, even compared to tiny startups. The engineering culture is aligned to enabling you to try things out, get things done and get them shipped out at an amazing rate. The perks are amazing and the management structure feels flat and low friction. Lots of smart folks and plenty of opportunities to get stuck into different areas if you feel like a change.

Work/life balance is good; lots of encouragement to take a break when you need it with a pretty high frequency of offsite events, and flexible working hours.

The onboarding process is very well put together: culture infusion from the moment you walk in the door, and you're mentored through a six week bootcamp and can be pushing code out to the website in your first week.

Cons

The flip side of the low friction management structure is that you need to take on more ownership of finding high impact work--don't expect to handed out work, you need to identify the work and then get it done. I see this as a plus, but it can make it a little difficult when you start out.

Having a high density of smart folks can make it feel more competitive than it really is, and that combined with the pretty low average age of employees can result in the occasional abrasive conversation.

Being privy to the roadmap and our plans overall but not being able to tell people about it when they interpret our steps towards our grand vision in a negative light can be frustrating.

Keep on doing what you're doing!

Best place to have a big impact

Current Employee - Director in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- compared with its competitors (many of which have 30,000+ employees), Facebook gives people a chance to make a massive impact. I've been at the company for 4+ years and we consistently grow our number of employees far slower that the growth of our users, developers and advertisers. This gives each employee a chance to do something huge for our nearly 1billion users.
    - if you are a "doer" and take accountability for things, there really is no limit to what you can accomplish

Cons

- if you love process for the sake of process (i.e. going to meetings), Facebook is not your place. It thrives on results and moving fast, and process that helps the company move fast is reward; process that results in more meetings and redundancies is not
    - people at Facebook have a lot of fun, but it is a relatively serious and extremely driven place; we expect a lot out of our employees so come ready to contribue

There are newer employer reviews for Facebook