Facebook
www.facebook.com Menlo Park, CA 5000+ Employees

Great workplace for motivated engineers

Research Scientist (Current Employee)
Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time for more than 3 years

Pros1) You own your own career: choose a team and a project; switch teams when you're saturated; learn any skill you need.
2) Very little process and bureaucracy for a company of this size.
3) Hackathons.

Cons1) You own your own career, which also means you have to be the one focusing on impact (and ensure it's visible) to progress.

2) The intense focus on impact can sometimes mean that longer-term, exploratory projects are harder to initiate, justify, and eventually get recognized for. Facebook is growing to the scale where a small team focused on "failing more often" (that is, crazier projects) would be beneficial.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe growing scale means that the review process starts to be more political, as upper management calibrates people the barely know. Monetary bonuses for performance, as is now becoming well known, are a poor motivator. Let's go back to a more recognition-based culture.

Amazing scale, pace and culture

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time for less than a year

Pros: I'm coming up to the end of my first quarter and continue to be blown away by how fast we can move, even compared to… Cons: The flip side of the low friction management structure is that you need to take on more ownership of finding high impact work--don't expect to… Advice to Senior Management: Keep on doing what you're doing! Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

awesome place to work

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at Facebook full-time for less than a year

Pros: the best place on earth to work. with the challenges… Cons: heavy work hours only besides that everything is cool about… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Facebook.

Worked for Facebook? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Facebook reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg. All reviews posted anonymously by Facebook employees.