Top Company to work for

Current Employee - Engineer in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
Current Employee - Engineer in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a flat organization with very flexible work, lots of benefits and of course great food for breakfast, lunch and dinner!

Cons

A lot of strangers will talk to you if you go out with facebook tshirts, if you want to stay on your own, just don't wear them ! :-) Apart of this, no cons on working at FB in my opinion

Advice to Management

Sometimes keep an eye to productivity when distributing bonus

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Unprofessional company

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Facebook as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

The compensation. Free breakfast, lunch and dinner is available, as well as healthy snacks, coffees and teas. Flexible hours.

Cons

I can't speak for all departments, but in the one I worked, no one wanted to take the time to train you, even on new programs. I saw so many people not take responsibility for their work, and deadlines were repeatedly not met regardless of the effect that it had on partners. FB employees would "work" from home but their tasks were never accomplished. People rarely communicated with each other, preferring to stay isolated with their earbuds in. Unfortunately, getting things accomplished often requires teamwork. The atmosphere was extremely political - friends of the boss lasted, everyone else did not. People think working at Facebook will be so amazing, but it wasn't. It was a big disappointment. I had no doubt that once they went public, the stock would nosedive because these people aren't used to accountability. In my particular case, my contract was immediately terminated after I spoke to someone about a co-worker who was harassing myself and another employee. I was assured that an investigation would still take place, but I found out much later, that it never did.

Advice to Management

Reach out to employees and contract workers alike to get anonymous feedback on how the departments and employees are doing. If your departments aren't meeting deadlines, find out why, don't . Demand professional behavior.

OK, but not as extraordinary as advertised

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Facebook full-time

Pros

- No need to explain to family or friends what your company does
    - No guilt in being obsessed with the social network
    - Opportunities to learn lots of things
    - Good for new grads or someone who is starting his career from scratch

Cons

- Lots of land grabbing and empire building.
    - Engineers have very little control on the directions of their projects, nor on their career path.