Unprofessional company

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Facebook as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

The compensation. Free breakfast, lunch and dinner is available, as well as healthy snacks, coffees and teas. Flexible hours.

Cons

I can't speak for all departments, but in the one I worked, no one wanted to take the time to train you, even on new programs. I saw so many people not take responsibility for their work, and deadlines were repeatedly not met regardless of the effect that it had on partners. FB employees would "work" from home but their tasks were never accomplished. People rarely communicated with each other, preferring to stay isolated with their earbuds in. Unfortunately, getting things accomplished often requires teamwork. The atmosphere was extremely political - friends of the boss lasted, everyone else did not. People think working at Facebook will be so amazing, but it wasn't. It was a big disappointment. I had no doubt that once they went public, the stock would nosedive because these people aren't used to accountability. In my particular case, my contract was immediately terminated after I spoke to someone about a co-worker who was harassing myself and another employee. I was assured that an investigation would still take place, but I found out much later, that it never did.

Advice to Management

Reach out to employees and contract workers alike to get anonymous feedback on how the departments and employees are doing. If your departments aren't meeting deadlines, find out why, don't . Demand professional behavior.

Other Employee Reviews for Facebook

OK, but not as extraordinary as advertised

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Facebook full-time

Pros

- No need to explain to family or friends what your company does - No guilt in being obsessed with the social network - Opportunities to learn lots of things - Good for new grads or someone who is starting his career from scratch

Cons

- Lots of land grabbing and empire building. - Engineers have very little control on the directions of their projects, nor on their career path.

The best job I have ever had

Current Employee - User Operations in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - User Operations in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture. Management genuinely cares about staff happiness, career pathing, growth and personal development. As the company scales, you get a sense that everyone wants to retain the hack culture, the ability to move fast and to avoid bureaucratic systems, while offering opportunities to everyone and avoid any 'hand-picking' and keeping company politics to a minimum. The working environment is collaborative, open and focused on impact. People. Some of the smartest people I have ever had a chance to deal with. Hard-working, fun, collaborative, creative and driven. They are not all made from the same mold and diversity is important. In Dublin, I love the multicultural environment, it is respectful of everyone's culture and creates a great vibe around the office. Perks. Alright so the initial salary is not the highest compared to other companies I have worked for. However, the 6 monthly bonuses (performance based), stock, salary adjustment every year, free healthy delicious food all day really add up. I have had higher base salaries in previous jobs, but going to work every day without fearing what the day brings, and lower stress-levels are just priceless. Also put in the Irish/Dublin context (very very grim unemployment figures), it is a solid job with career prospects. What we do. Putting aside the people, the cool office and many perks, I really love what I do. We support hundreds of million users across EMEA/Latin America, and working on such a scale is inspiring. I feel immensely proud of what we are achieving every day.

Cons

Work life balance can be at times poor. No one is really putting a gun to my head to work this hard, but I feel a sense of duty to our teams and our users. As the company scale, I have seen some office politics creeping up here and there. I also hate the sense of entitlement that pops up every now and then.

Advice to Management

Keep it up. Please don't let us become Google.