There are newer employer reviews for Facebook

Smart, conscientious coworkers and an employer that treats us well

Current Employee - Data Scientist in Menlo Park, CA
Current Employee - Data Scientist in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My coworkers are ridiculously smart and competent. Every day I learn something new from one of them. We move fast and think about having impact on the world. Our site is used by a billion people. The company cares about its employees' quality of life; we have excellent food, shuttles to/from San Francisco, a culture that eschews meetings, great ergonomics, onsite medical care, and a gym. New engineers go through "bootcamp," which exposes you to all aspects of the codebase in a friendly environment where you're allowed to ask n00bish questions and bond with other new engineers.

Cons

It's difficult to come up with meaningful downsides to working here. We move very fast, so I don't always have time to be a perfectionist (but in general that's a good thing). Our codebase is huge and it can be difficult to find documentation.

Other Employee Reviews for Facebook

1. This is my dream job, sometimes I can't believe I'm actually here

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Facebook is an awesome company. Everyone has the opportunity to make great impact there, as the things you build are used by millions of people worldwide. The company is still growing, which makes for a lot of room for career improvement inside it too, not to talk about all the experience you get there. Finally, the work environment is just great, with very good free food, open space, and the feeling that everyone loves working there.

Cons

I guess a downside to it is that it's a big responsibility to change and build things there, since if you make something wrong you'll be affecting millions of users with it, which can be scary.

2. Talent, commitment, autonomy, impact.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The most important reason to work at Facebook is the other people working at Facebook. Almost all of them are very, very good. Down to about the 20th percentile of engineer, you can pretty much take their word as gold: if they say they'll do X in time Y, they will, and often a better X in a little less time than Y. This is a kind of super-power: it reduces the overhead of coordinating complex projects significantly. Facebook is also a mission-focused organization, in the same sense that the military, or a relief agency is. Most employees understand the goal of the company to be larger than just making its employees and shareholders materially successful. You will enjoy a vertiginous amount of authority as a front-line employee at Facebook. For better and for worse, on your first day at Facebook, you're given the keys to the proverbial Ferrari; you can push code, fix bugs, implement features, and yes, crash the site as much as any other engineer. Many user-facing decisions end up getting made by individual engineers. This also implies that your work will have impact. Almost everyone you meet in your daily life is a user of your software. If they are unhappy users, it is your fault and responsibility to make it better. If they are happy users, you can enjoy your share of the credit. All the basics (salary, equity, career advancement, food, miscellaneous perks like shuttles from SF) are world-class as well.

Cons

A mission-oriented job is not for everybody. If you are looking for a paycheck, and a ton of time to pursue your model railroading hobby, Facebook is going to be a weird fit for you. This is not to say that people don't have hobbies, or that everybody works 70 hrs/wk; but if you are completely "checked out" from your job, this will not be a happy place for you, not matter how good you are at it. The physical work environment (open plan office, graffiti on the walls, lots of free-form discussion and collaboration) can be jarring if you're coming from a more typical corporate engineering environment.