Facebook

www.facebook.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Facebook

Facebook knows how to keep its employees productive and happy

Current Employee - Production Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
Current Employee - Production Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (more than a year)

Pros

A great place to work. Well-distributed culture of seeking impact and keeping productive which, along with a considered hiring approach, means that everyone you encounter is bright and eager to help you get things done. Low-touch management style is encouraged, with focus on growth and getting blockers out of the way.

Cons

High public visibility when you cause the site to crash. No 401(k) match. Hard to keep up with all that is going on.

908 Other Employee Reviews for Facebook (View Most Recent)

Work on challenging, high-impact problems with lots of intelligent coworkers.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (less than a year)

Pros

High impact - your work affects a lot of people.
    Interesting - there are a lot of challenging problems to solve.
    Flexible - choose when and how much to work. You are judged on what you accomplish, not how long you are at the office doing it.
    Work/life balance - other than hackathons and offsites, I'm home for dinner with my family.
    Choose your path - you get to choose what to work on out of bootcamp.

Cons

Not enough people - there are things that should get done, but there's no one to do them.
    Meetings - most of my days are interrupted by a meeting or two.

The experience of a lifetime

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I left Google due to all the red tape, process, communication difficulties across teams and depts, etc. Facebook will undoubtedly face these challenges as well as they grow, but at this current stage, they've taken more of an open, "move fast and break things" approach. I love the freedom given to explore, share, collaborate, and HACK. I didn't feel I had much of this freedom at Google - and there is much less (pretty much none) of the "Engineer vs. Everyone else" caste system that Google is famous for.

I am incredibly relieved, and satisfied, that I made the jump. I've been at many of silicon valley's top tier companies in my 15 years here in SV. After 15 years here, I have a pretty strong idea of what I want and what I don't want - so I can say with confidence that Facebook is my lifer job - I plan on staying here a WHILE.

Cons

The speed at which things move here can be daunting for the uninitiated, but if you've been at top tier companies before, it's nothing unique. Just do your research and know what you are getting into. There is a lot of work, and a lot of reward to be had, but only if you reach for it.

keep doing what you're doing - be transparent, egalitarian, and open. I love the way we are treated so well here. I love our internal groups for open discussion without having to resort to email. The integration of our work duties and services into our FB accounts themselves is amazing and ingenius.

There are newer employer reviews for Facebook