Challenge, Chaos, and Impact

Current Employee - Product Manager in Menlo Park, CA
Current Employee - Product Manager in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-The smartest people with the most passion about what they work on.
-People who legitimately want to make people's lives better through open communication.
-Amazing technological infrastructure worked on by everyone at the company - not just a core team.
-Leadership that thinks about the future and makes every effort to move towards it.

Cons

-A lot of work. No lie, people expect a lot out of you and you will work hard. It'll be challenging problems with no clear solutions because people haven't operated at this scale before.
-Leadership visibility. You will be in meetings with the senior leaders about day-to-day matters.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Best internship evar.

Current Intern - Software Engineering Intern in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Intern - Software Engineering Intern in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

No, seriously. I really can't imagine how Facebook could do a better job of making working there a fantastic experience. On top of the ridiculous benefits and wonderful culture, working at Facebook is an opportunity to work with awesome and dedicated colleagues on a product that touches a billion people.

You get to change the world, and have fun while doing it. What more could you ask for?

Cons

I don't know that I can think of a single bad thing about my experience at Facebook. It's going to be really difficult to go back to normal life.

Advice to Management

Rock on.

2. After 3 years I still feel like I'm surrounded by people smarter than me. The job is stressful at times, but so worth it

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* Free food
    * Fun people
    * "Don't ask for permission, just go do it" culture
    * The code I write goes in to production in a matter of days
    * A vast distribution of incredibly interesting problems to work on (often hard to choose from)
    * Management knows they can't really shove anything on to anyone. If they want to see something get done a different way, it's up to them to persuade not to force (I've worked in 3 completely different groups in the company and this was a consistent theme)

Cons

* Each engineer has tons of responsibility. This can honestly be stressful sometimes as you're on point for keeping it all running
    * I live in the city and, while the commuter shuttles (with wifi) make commuting about as bearable as it possibly can be, it's still less than ideal to have about an hour between work and home.