There are newer employer reviews for Facebook

Move fast and break things

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Menlo Park, CA
Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Facebook is a rapidly growing company where you can work on digital products (and the infrastructure that support them) that impact a billion people around the world. The company culture is richer and uplifted more-so than any other company I've worked at (including Microsoft, IBM, and NYT). We're encouraged to take control of and have ownership over our work, micro-management is micro-managed out and big-impact work is rewarded (even—no especially—if it's not sexy).

There are few places in the world which provide the hat-trick of being an exciting place to work, provide freedom to work on what you want, and provide social and cultural impact to a significant portion of global humanity.

Cons

The biggest downside is the double-edged sword of Facebook's culture. It's easy to get lost in the whirlwind of cool stuff, great perks and exciting smart people and forget to get something done. For those cranking away, the intentional self-exploration (hackathons, etc) can result in the occasional duplicated work or dead-ends. You can't say we won't take risks and try new things, instead you could say this might happen a little too much. Also, Facebook is a pretty constant target of the media for both good and bad news. This can be a bit trying when you just want to get your job done and your friends and family are bugging you about the latest features added (or not added).

Maintain what makes Facebook great as it continues to grow.

reviews filtered by

A mature culture of smart people working on the hardest and most rewarding problems

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The Culture:
    This tops the list of reasons to work at Facebook. Many companies say they take their culture seriously but Facebook lives it. The mantras and propaganda around the office really do help you "stay focused and keep shipping", by clearing away your own barriers and resolving debates.

The Impact:
    My first day on the job I submitted a diff that now hundreds of millions of people see every day. Imagining a more connected world keeps me coming in every day, because I know that I'm building that future.

The Career Opportunities:
    There is no arbitrary ladder, no game mechanics, at Facebook. Your career grows as you hack larger things. Because you are encouraged to work across Facebook, jumping teams and technologies, you gain a variety of skills that keeps you agile and flexible. And because Facebook is built on a lot of open source technologies, the skills you gain here are easily transferable everywhere.

Cons

Work / Life balance:
    If you want to spend most of your time with your family, and work is just a job to you look elsewhere. No one keeps track of your time, but if you want to do well here you'll spend a lot of your free time thinking about the problems you're tackling.

2. easily the most fun you can have at work

Current Employee - Production Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Production Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

working with incredible people
    working on something people all over the world use
    being able to work without bureaucracy
    you also get to work on problems that may not fit in your direct scope, which means you learn as you go, and might find your next position without even trying
    great perks: food, shuttles, haircuts

Cons

getting fat from the free food
    have to work hard, not for someone who wants to coast

There are newer employer reviews for Facebook