Best workplace ever - and I'm a relative old-timer

Current Employee - Research Scientist in Menlo Park, CA
Current Employee - Research Scientist in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Most powerful engineering force in the world - Potential for individual impact enormous - Incredible people and data; good tools - Good employer - regards employees highly, cares and nurtures for them - Good pay, perks galore - Relatively light on politics considering size and breadth - All around a fun environment

Cons

- Could be better organized; duplicate or abandoned work is not uncommon - Little focus on longer term research - Work is intense, work/life balance achievable but not easy

Advice to Management

We need a better focus on real research with longer horizon than immediate application to production. In addition to adding value to the company in the long term, good research will also improve our relationship with the academia/research community and attract top talent from there. Internal and inter-departamental communication should be improved to foster discoverability and applicability of tools and work done in various parts of the company.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

The best place I have ever worked

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of challenging problems to work on. Lots of really smart people to work with. And a really nice environment to work in. 3 meals a day - with varied menus and options. Fully stocked micro kitchens. 21 days vacation per year (plus sick days).

Cons

While the site (in Menlo Park) is really nice, its difficult to get to - from almost anywhere. I hate my commute.

Move fast and break things

Current Employee - Project Manager in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Anyone can make an immediate impact in the organization, especially those at Menlo Park HQ. The perks are great and the culture is awesome.

Cons

In moving fast, process is sometimes disregarded. You have to assert yourself to make your role work because everyone else is too busy and driven to hold your hand.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! The challenge is to maintain the culture and sense of urgency as the company grows and more people are away from HQ