Facebook

www.facebook.com
  www.facebook.com
There are newer employer reviews for Facebook

Smart, boring people and no balance.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people are smart, and the scaling challenges are great. Where else does your code impact a billion people? The compensation is amazing.

Senior management are generally amazing people, smart, visionary and compassionate.

Cons

The focus on measuring means anything that can't be measured is ignored. It's easy to measure someone's ability to code on a whiteboard. As a result, the coders are much better than nearly everywhere I've worked, but that's it. Social skills and personality can't be measured. As a result there is no one here you would ever be friends. The internal surveys bear this point that people don't have friends at work. Similarly for managers, they are selected strictly for their technical ability. Again, they have zero compassion. In my time being here, I've never once felt like anyone cared if I was here or not. Not once has anything positive ever been said. It's really astounding.

Recruiting does an amazing job at making candidates feel wanted. That feeling disappears the moment you sign. After that, you have no manager or anyone who will care. You'll go into bootcamp where you'll have a "mentor". His role is to continue to do his job while counting the number of lines in your diffs to make sure you can make progress with no assistance.

After bootcamp, you'll have a manager who operates in the same mode. They are interested in the technology and not the people. To them, you are a resource to be maximized. They will tell you everything you need to do to improve, but never once say "good job". In boot camp, I kept meeting these amazing, visionary dynamic managers. I know realize they were the exception. Those people made me love Facebook during bootcamp, but that feeling wore off quickly once I interacted with the average line level manager.

Plus, beware of the reviews here. Recruiting will tell you point blank that they curate these reviews. The reason FB has the highest rating is because someone internally has a goal to achieve certain star ratings on this site.

Start selecting people for human relationship skills and focus less on pure technical ability.

836 Other Employee Reviews for Facebook (View Most Recent)

I felt like a subclass of employee at work everyday

I have been working at Facebook as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Free food, young and lively coworkers, downtown location.

Cons

What was promised by the recruiter on the phone and in the interviews was very different than what reality as a contractor was actually like.

There is a clear separation between you and full-time employees. Physically, your full time counter-parts, that are on your team, will either sit on the other side of the aisle or in a separate part of the office than you so that you understand that you are not one of them and have as minimal interaction with them as possible. Culturally, they talk down to you and try to make you feel less than them (yes, word gets around the office), give you the tasks none of them want to do and will also give you as little amount of responsibility as they can.

As a contractor your job will be about as repetitive as they come because the FTE's will allocate you the most mind numbing of all work at Facebook. Your job consists of 3 second intervals of decision over and over for the course of an entire day.

FTE's will have parties and day trips away from the office that you simply can not go to. What made it worse was that many times the contractors would not know that the FTE's would have the day off and the contractors would come in to work and have the entire workload on their shoulders. A prime example of how little FTE's care about you.

In one instance I was told to leave the office in the middle of my workday and find a new place to work because the full time employee's were going to have a beer pong party. The environment is very hypocritical because the walls are covered with posters about inclusion, acceptance and empowerment but Facebook Austin excludes and shuns a huge number of the people that work their.

I have never had a more aloof manager in my entire live. I think my manager though it was cool to not care about what I did. It was awful. He/She gave no instruction, no guidance, no evaluation, no conversation, no eye contact, no meetings, didnt speak assertively and with confidence. This was not a laissez-faire management. This was an I dont care management style.

Stop hiring 12 month contractors and invest in people or, why not just outsource it. Contractors are put in their own corner of the office and you dont see us anyways.

Dont promise contract workers the world then give them a very underwhelming and under paid job where the feel like a subclass in their own workplace.

Encourage managers to care and/or interact with their contracts. I talked to my manager about once a month (usually when I was asked to work the weekends).

A knowledge enriching experience

Former Employee - Developer Advocate in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Developer Advocate in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great people , good knowledge sharing

Cons

u ve to be really really fast to catch up with the pace .

none