It's a rocky ride

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to meet a lot of really smart people. Also, there are a lot of benefits and there's more coming.

Cons

The company is growing big really fast. If you aren't in product teams, it's hard to get much love and as the size increases this is more apparent. It's not a small company anymore and over the time I was here, I have seen the start up culture slowly mature.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

I felt like a subclass of employee at work everyday

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Facebook as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Free food, young and lively coworkers, downtown location.

Cons

What was promised by the recruiter on the phone and in the interviews was very different than what reality as a contractor was actually like. There is a clear separation between you and full-time employees. Physically, your full time counter-parts, that are on your team, will either sit on the other side of the aisle or in a separate part of the office than you so that you understand that you are not one of them and have as minimal interaction with them as possible. Culturally, they talk down to you and try to make you feel less than them (yes, word gets around the office), give you the tasks none of them want to do and will also give you as little amount of responsibility as they can. As a contractor your job will be about as repetitive as they come because the FTE's will allocate you the most mind numbing of all work at Facebook. Your job consists of 3 second intervals of decision over and over for the course of an entire day. FTE's will have parties and day trips away from the office that you simply can not go to. What made it worse was that many times the contractors would not know that the FTE's would have the day off and the contractors would come in to work and have the entire workload on their shoulders. A prime example of how little FTE's care about you. In one instance I was told to leave the office in the middle of my workday and find a new place to work because the full time employee's were going to have a beer pong party. The environment is very hypocritical because the walls are covered with posters about inclusion, acceptance and empowerment but Facebook Austin excludes and shuns a huge number of the people that work their. I have never had a more aloof manager in my entire live. I think my manager though it was cool to not care about what I did. It was awful. He/She gave no instruction, no guidance, no evaluation, no conversation, no eye contact, no meetings, didnt speak assertively and with confidence. This was not a laissez-faire management. This was an I dont care management style.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring 12 month contractors and invest in people or, why not just outsource it. Contractors are put in their own corner of the office and you dont see us anyways. Dont promise contract workers the world then give them a very underwhelming and under paid job where the feel like a subclass in their own workplace. Encourage managers to care and/or interact with their contracts. I talked to my manager about once a month (usually when I was asked to work the weekends).

Form employee #514

Former Employee - Senior Manager Data Center Operations in Ashburn, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager Data Center Operations in Ashburn, VA

I worked at Facebook full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great place, great mission, great creativity and upper managment support behind creativity

Cons

getting to large to execute on creative ideas

Advice to Management

Management is aware of the employee scaling issues and works on "drift" control constantly.