Excellent culture

Former Intern - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
Former Intern - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I had the privilege of working at this company as an intern a few times. Of all the internships I've had, this company's culture best aligns with my own. The teams tend to be small, the work environment really feels like home. The food is ok, but I mainly ate at the salad bar. I love that as an engineer, I'm not restricted in the type of equipment I get, and that I can get whatever I need to improve myself.

Cons

This isn't the best place, if you want to have an excellent work life balance, since it's really easy to just stay at work all the time.

Advice to Management

Never lose that sense of small company feel just to have more control or order.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Facebook - MPK is a great place to work

Former Contractor - Platform Operations Analyst in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Contractor - Platform Operations Analyst in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Facebook as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

the food is incredible, the people are bright and fun, there's opportunity to effect millions of people with what you create

Cons

move fast break things may mean that the project you're working on will not work out. so while they execute things quickly they also kill things off quickly. also that commute is rough if you live in the city.

Advice to Management

spend more time with your employees

Extremely open and fast moving company.

Current Employee - Software Engineer IV in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer IV in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You ship code within your first two weeks. Hundreds of millions of people around the world care about what you do. Pay and benefits are great, particularly RSU offerings. You're expected to move up (and get raises, bonuses, more RSUs) quickly. You can do pretty much whatever you want and work on whatever you want. There aren't a lot of rules, other than security/privacy practices. Even on mobile apps, your code ships fast. Facebook's onboarding process is the best I've ever seen, and I've worked at a lot of other major companies. You're hired as an engineer, not as someone to fill a specific job. Then you spend your first six weeks getting to know how all of the company works, filling in small holes on code bases that you aren't familiar with (web, Android, iOS, data analysis stuff), and learning what problems in the company you most want to work on, before you pick your team. Every large software company should be doing this.

Cons

They do claim ownership of code you write outside of work, unless you run it by legal first.

Advice to Management

Don't ever get rid of Boot Camp. Adding on iOS and Android camp afterwards is a great idea; I wish it had been there when I started. Please change the "we own all you do, even outside of work, unless you clear it first" policy. It might turn Silicon Valley die-hards off, particularly the startup dreamers who want to get their feet wet first at a company known for moving fast. I think we'd want to snag those people and convince them to pursue their ideas with us, rather than frighten them away with the thought that they might legally give away their big idea when they come to it. Even if we lose a few, or most, I'd rather have them with us for a while.