There are newer employer reviews for Facebook

This is absolutely the best company to work for!

Current Employee - Ios Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
Current Employee - Ios Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The people. The work. The culture. The perks. The CEO.

# ^ $

Cons

Some code is messy (but a lot isn't). The branding could use some love.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Also make our brand better.

reviews filtered by

A heaven for an engineer!

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I moved here from a larger stable company where I was also working as a software engineer, and I have just been wow-ed! Apart from the amazing perks, I work with a set of very dedicated, determined and intelligent folks, which is really the best part of working here.

- Co-workers are mostly rockstars!
    - Lots of resources to learn - 7 months into my job and I feel I am already a much better engineer.
    - Lots of importance on what YOU want to work on, versus what your manager thinks you should work on. You can freely talk to your manager and find an intersection between your interests and the company/product needs.
    - Everything is automated (again by rockstar teams), and processes are made as simple as possible.
    - Great pay, stocks and bonuses.
    - Amazing perks! Lots of food choices, great campus, regular team happy hours with great food, and the list goes on and on.

Cons

- Work-life balance almost 0 on weekdays! I spend the entire day working/thinking about work. But that is what I was looking for. Weekends are upto you - most people do not work.
    - Lots of process changes in short periods of time - so you are constantly climbing the learning curve. But this maybe specific to the product I work on.

Extremely open and fast moving company.

Current Employee - Software Engineer IV in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer IV in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (less than a year)

Pros

You ship code within your first two weeks. Hundreds of millions of people around the world care about what you do. Pay and benefits are great, particularly RSU offerings. You're expected to move up (and get raises, bonuses, more RSUs) quickly. You can do pretty much whatever you want and work on whatever you want. There aren't a lot of rules, other than security/privacy practices. Even on mobile apps, your code ships fast.

Facebook's onboarding process is the best I've ever seen, and I've worked at a lot of other major companies. You're hired as an engineer, not as someone to fill a specific job. Then you spend your first six weeks getting to know how all of the company works, filling in small holes on code bases that you aren't familiar with (web, Android, iOS, data analysis stuff), and learning what problems in the company you most want to work on, before you pick your team. Every large software company should be doing this.

Cons

They do claim ownership of code you write outside of work, unless you run it by legal first.

Advice to Management

Don't ever get rid of Boot Camp. Adding on iOS and Android camp afterwards is a great idea; I wish it had been there when I started.

Please change the "we own all you do, even outside of work, unless you clear it first" policy. It might turn Silicon Valley die-hards off, particularly the startup dreamers who want to get their feet wet first at a company known for moving fast. I think we'd want to snag those people and convince them to pursue their ideas with us, rather than frighten them away with the thought that they might legally give away their big idea when they come to it. Even if we lose a few, or most, I'd rather have them with us for a while.

There are newer employer reviews for Facebook