There are newer employer reviews for Facebook

Huge impact, fun work and lots of autonomy

Current Employee - Product Manager in Menlo Park, CA
Current Employee - Product Manager in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Facebook combines the best aspects of working at a large public company (lots of resources and lots of institutional knowledge) and a hot startup (lots of super smart people and tons of autonomy). Going to work is a ton of fun. I look forward to tackling new problems each day.

Cons

The work schedule is pretty intense. Nice thing is that everyone works really hard here. So you don't feel like you're in it on your own. But you definitely have to work pretty hard here.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Software Engineer

I worked at Facebook

Pros

Good culture Food is awesome Benefits are awesome

Cons

Really don't have any cons to mention

Drink the koolaid

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Facebook is definitely a great place to work. If you're young (or not) and energetic, you can still do big things here. As an engineer, you still have a lot of control over the direction of your product, at least on the teams I've experienced. I think management is pretty good here as well, and you definitely work with really great engineers. The pay is great, the benefits are awesome, you are largely treated well, but this is a company you can definitely bite into too hard and overwork yourself. The place is still a lot more open internally than other corporate machines, less so since going public. Also, you get the sense that Mark has a vision, and really wants to execute on that. Time will tell if the spur of acquisitions lately are worth it, but he definitely has the balls to act on where he thinks the product is moving.

Cons

I think it says a lot that I can't think of a lot of cons. AND I'm planning to leave the company this year. -There are a lot of egos here. Definitely not representative of everyone, but some people slip through the cracks and it can be a drain working with them. -The company is starting to feel really big. It's getting harder and harder to do anything very different as you have to convince more and more people that this is a good idea. -If you're living in SF, then the location is pretty inconvenient. That and you'll just shove all your free FB swag in a drawer and never look at it again with all the tech protests lately. You can stand out on your team and do a great job at FB, or have a life outside of work. Choose one. I chose the former for too long, and now need to reprioritize.

Advice to Management

I have been very happy with management at Facebook. Managers have always tried to grow me, my expectations are clear, my efforts are greatly rewarded, and they try to align me with projects where I will shine. I think the important thing, as we grow, is to hold onto some of the old Facebook. "Move Fast, Break Things" well try not to break stuff, but it would be good to keep the cadence up on engineering and the processes that have crept in over the years to a minimum.