Facebook

www.facebook.com
  www.facebook.com
There are newer employer reviews for Facebook

Used to be a great company

Current Employee - Analyst in Menlo Park, CA
Current Employee - Analyst in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Smart individual contributors
- The managers who grew organically with the company are pretty good too.
- Awesome product and impacting 1 billion people.
- culture used to be good, but deteriorating. have to be careful

Cons

- I have noticed we are hiring more and more managers from outside which is bad for morale. In analytics, hiring leaders from outside is a top priority.
- Many of these newly hired managers are not in sync with our culture. Even if that was not the case, it's still bad for morale.
- Life work balance is too much skewed towards work.

Don't hire outside managers. Promote from within. I'm giving Mark an "approve" below. He's awesome but he should tell the M-team not to hire outside managers whenever possible.

836 Other Employee Reviews for Facebook (View Most Recent)

Drink the koolaid

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Facebook is definitely a great place to work. If you're young (or not) and energetic, you can still do big things here. As an engineer, you still have a lot of control over the direction of your product, at least on the teams I've experienced. I think management is pretty good here as well, and you definitely work with really great engineers. The pay is great, the benefits are awesome, you are largely treated well, but this is a company you can definitely bite into too hard and overwork yourself. The place is still a lot more open internally than other corporate machines, less so since going public. Also, you get the sense that Mark has a vision, and really wants to execute on that. Time will tell if the spur of acquisitions lately are worth it, but he definitely has the balls to act on where he thinks the product is moving.

Cons

I think it says a lot that I can't think of a lot of cons. AND I'm planning to leave the company this year.

-There are a lot of egos here. Definitely not representative of everyone, but some people slip through the cracks and it can be a drain working with them.
    -The company is starting to feel really big. It's getting harder and harder to do anything very different as you have to convince more and more people that this is a good idea.
    -If you're living in SF, then the location is pretty inconvenient. That and you'll just shove all your free FB swag in a drawer and never look at it again with all the tech protests lately. You can stand out on your team and do a great job at FB, or have a life outside of work. Choose one. I chose the former for too long, and now need to reprioritize.

I have been very happy with management at Facebook. Managers have always tried to grow me, my expectations are clear, my efforts are greatly rewarded, and they try to align me with projects where I will shine. I think the important thing, as we grow, is to hold onto some of the old Facebook. "Move Fast, Break Things" well try not to break stuff, but it would be good to keep the cadence up on engineering and the processes that have crept in over the years to a minimum.

The best place to start!

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Facebook full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Rare engineer-driven culture. Many holidays and PTOs. Easy to switch to new team. So many training opportunities.

Cons

You can have to watch your own personal career path closely. FB managers are young people and not all of them are good at grow people. Some of the managers are great but you need to work on your part hardly.

Everything is great. It is a big company now and will become greater and greater. Zuck is the best CEO.

There are newer employer reviews for Facebook