Facebook

www.facebook.com

Very competitive work environment but not accurately advertised as such

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Palo Alto, CA

Pros-Opportunity to write software that gets used by hundreds of millions of people
-Opportunity to see how a successful company is run
-Opportunity to launch often
-Potential IPO

Cons-Frontend work (i.e. work done in most of the product-oriented teams) is mostly mundane PHP and nothing that really intellectually challenging from a Computer Science perspective. (Backend may be different but I never tried that.)
-Potential to get judged too quickly for performance. They are less willing than other companies to let you try something different which may be a better fit if you are not performing well enough on your current project.
-Chaos that may hurt you--you may start out on one project but be expected to do something else for no good reason, that may not be the best fit for your skills.
-Some managers are too busy to give useful frequent feedback.
-I get the impression that they manage by a bell curve, but are not not being transparent about it.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe absolutely honest to new hires about where Facebook stands in the spectrum between 'severe' and 'forgiving' for performance reviews, especially when you let new engineers choose their initial team, so that they can choose their teams carefully and pick a project they know they will do well instead of just one that catches their interest but is not necessarily a good fit for their experience and skills.

Overhyped Lifelong Hackathon

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Facebook

Pros: Good pay, if you negotiate aggressively Good food Good benefits Location is good,… Cons: Management is constantly pushing you You don't work at your own pace, you have to work at everyone else's pace Need to stay after work everyday and… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Engineer heaven

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Facebook

Pros: You got to write lots of code Cons: You have to write lots of code Advice to Senior Management: Be prepared to hack Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Facebook.

Worked for Facebook? Contribute to the Community!