There are newer employer reviews for Facebook

Trending towards bureaucracy

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Palo Alto, CA
Current Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Facebook

Pros

- Free food
- Reasonably good compensation
- Reasonably flexible hours
- Lots of smart, capable people
- Work can be exciting

Cons

- Working on product teams is trying because of the micromanagement of Zuck and other upper management. Many projects get delayed because they ask for random changes.
- Working on backend teams doesn't have that problem, but they are typically second-class citizens and don't get as much respect as frontend teams.
- Facebook is very large now and the bureacracy is starting to accumulate quickly. It used to be that engineers could just do stuff, but now almost every change requires a great deal of pointless discussion or overhead. For instance, you now have to fill out a form just to log some data.
- Very strong focus on some of the "hot" product teams means that the rest of the company doesn't get preference with respect to product managers, designers, etc.
- Most frontend work is boring mundane PHP. The only challenge comes from poorly-designed legacy systems.
- Managers will often ask you to work on something you don't care about just because it's a priority for the company. This goes against the claimed philosophy of Facebook, but it's the way things are trending.

- Keep the bureaucracy down.
- Reduce the rate of hiring. The marginal benefit of an additional engineer decreases fairly quickly. Going from 500 to 1000 is not going to come close to doubling the amount of work done.

751 Other Employee Reviews for Facebook (View Most Recent)

fine

Current Employee - Specialist  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Specialist in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Facebook

Pros

great product, great benefits, great colleagues

Cons

incompetent managers are the downsides of FB.

follow the google management rules and stop hiring incompetent middle management from google

The toughest job you'll ever love.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Facebook

Pros

In general, there is a high level of autonomy given to employees. We're treated like adults and given lots of responsibility. The perks are unreal compared to other places I've worked. The atmosphere is fun yet serious. We're very lucky to work here overall.

Cons

A stretched thin workforce makes for lots of pressure and heavy workload; it's hard to get everything done. Sometimes it's difficult to strike a work/life balance. There's a clique-ish aspect to the place, where the "cool kids" get the recognition and more opportunity to move around and advance.

You're doing a great job strategically. I'm happy with the overall direction of the company and our products. I just wish there were a little less favoritism shown by middle management.

There are newer employer reviews for Facebook

Worked for Facebook? Contribute to the Community!