There are newer employer reviews for Facebook

The toughest job you'll ever love.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

In general, there is a high level of autonomy given to employees. We're treated like adults and given lots of responsibility. The perks are unreal compared to other places I've worked. The atmosphere is fun yet serious. We're very lucky to work here overall.

Cons

A stretched thin workforce makes for lots of pressure and heavy workload; it's hard to get everything done. Sometimes it's difficult to strike a work/life balance. There's a clique-ish aspect to the place, where the "cool kids" get the recognition and more opportunity to move around and advance.

Advice to Management

You're doing a great job strategically. I'm happy with the overall direction of the company and our products. I just wish there were a little less favoritism shown by middle management.

Other Employee Reviews for Facebook

Very competitive work environment but not accurately advertised as such

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

-Opportunity to write software that gets used by hundreds of millions of people -Opportunity to see how a successful company is run -Opportunity to launch often -Potential IPO

Cons

-Frontend work (i.e. work done in most of the product-oriented teams) is mostly mundane PHP and nothing that really intellectually challenging from a Computer Science perspective. (Backend may be different but I never tried that.) -Potential to get judged too quickly for performance. They are less willing than other companies to let you try something different which may be a better fit if you are not performing well enough on your current project. -Chaos that may hurt you--you may start out on one project but be expected to do something else for no good reason, that may not be the best fit for your skills. -Some managers are too busy to give useful frequent feedback. -I get the impression that they manage by a bell curve, but are not not being transparent about it.

Advice to Management

Be absolutely honest to new hires about where Facebook stands in the spectrum between 'severe' and 'forgiving' for performance reviews, especially when you let new engineers choose their initial team, so that they can choose their teams carefully and pick a project they know they will do well instead of just one that catches their interest but is not necessarily a good fit for their experience and skills.

Overhyped Lifelong Hackathon

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

Good pay, if you negotiate aggressively Good food Good benefits Location is good, California is a nice place to live although expensive Lots of exposure

Cons

Management is constantly pushing you You don't work at your own pace, you have to work at everyone else's pace Need to stay after work everyday and go to work on weekends People are very egocentric and their ego is entirely tied to how much code they write I'm afraid of getting fired every single day