There are newer employer reviews for FactSet

Lots of creativity, lots of disconnect

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at FactSet

Pros

Encourages independence, creativity, and ownership

Cons

Bad compensation. Departments are disjointed, you could have no idea what the person next to you does

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

A good stepping stone towards something better

I have been working at FactSet

Pros

- Relaxed atmosphere. Get your work done and no one will ask questions. - Good place to learn from intelligent, friendly people. The technical library is very handy. - Some teams offer quick advancement opportunities.

Cons

- Previous employees have used FactSet as a stepping-stone. I believe this is partially due to the fact that they are no longer being challenged. Engineers love challenges and you can only go as far as to create your own, but then what after? - Salary inversion. - With certain managers, you must constantly remind them how hard you work. - The recent hiring blitz has introduced some less than qualified engineers into our talent pool. - Some product developers are very capable and easy to work with; others are rude and constantly demanding or incompetent. - There's no such thing as a free lunch. It's part of our total compensation package and the quality of the cafeteria has been declining. Some employees avoid the cafeteria altogether.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to what your current employees have to say -- We are your best asset. We've endured long hours, cutbacks, and economic crisises.

2. As a college hire my experience was good but not great, a good job but not a great one.

I have been working at FactSet

Pros

The benefits are above average, and the work life balance is extremely gracious, especially for a job in the financial sector. Compensation is fair, given what is asked of the engineers, and the culture is extremely favorable.

Cons

Compensation is also a con, because it could be much higher. It's important to keep in mind though that Factset doesn't ask too much of their engineers so paying them top dollar would be silly. There's a lot of turnover in upper managment in the software department and it feels like most people view Factset as a stepping stone instead of a career.

Advice to Management

More emphasis on creating a culture that excels at giving feedback, trust your employees and treat them accordingly. Find EFFECTIVE ways to make Factset a place people want to wake up everyday and work at, not one they put up with because the lifestyle is good