There are newer employer reviews for FactSet

Unexciting, but fair

Current Employee - Software Engineer I  in  Norwalk, CT
Current Employee - Software Engineer I in Norwalk, CT

I have been working at FactSet

Pros

Excellent benefits and extremely flexible scheduling (i.e. if you need to work at home, take time for a medical appointment). Engineering managers did a good job of filtering communication from Product Design and Consulting (i.e. all the facts you need, while protecting you from unnecessary interruptions from other departments). Free snacks/drinks and free lunch (along with all manner of other free food) is a nice perk. Excellent engineering tools in place (i.e. development environment, build system, source control). Engineering department has a nice degree of autonomy. Nice proximity to New York City (from Norwalk, CT location). Length of work week is extremely reasonable (40-45 hrs. per week typically).

Cons

Not a great deal of creative freedom on projects, or places to input new ideas and/or suggest new projects if you're new. Cafeteria food varies in quality, but free is free is free. Fairfield County, CT can be expensive (although some parts are nice to compensate). Pretty hierarchial in structure. Engineers don't strike me as being miserable, but neither do they seem wildly happy.

It would be nice if newer engineers had a chance to think more entrepreneurially and propose/start their own projects where necessary or desirable (think Google), even if this in some cases required longer hours. Structure of the company feels rather rigid, overall.

460 Other Employee Reviews for FactSet (View Most Recent)

Complacent culture, cumbersome/menial work; More of IT support than consulting.

Current Employee - Consultant  in  Norwalk, CT
    Current Employee - Consultant in Norwalk, CT

I have been working at FactSet

Pros

Decent hours(don't work weekends), free lunch and free snacks, startup company culture. Colleagues are generally friendly, caring and helpful.

Cons

Most of the reviews on this website pretty much sum it up.

The work is cumbersome and trivial. None of the work is intellectually stimulating and there is no incentive/reward to try. The management team expects you to go the extra mile for every client no matter the request. That is understandable, but you quickly realize that most of the required solutions make no practical sense.

This is a software company that tries to disguise it's "consulting" role as a finance related role. None of what you do is finance related. It is more backoffice IT support. You don't learn much after training as almost all clients call in with the same menial requests.

If you are a motivated/hardworking/smart individual this is definitely not the place to grow and develop.

The company culture seems to be focused on being mediocre and learning to stick with the illogical. Learn to focus on what matters (practical solutions).

The consultant is the equivalent of a water boy on the football field.

Current Employee - Consultant  in  Norwalk, CT
    Current Employee - Consultant in Norwalk, CT

I have been working at FactSet

Pros

Free lunch. Regular benefits. Interaction with some bright people in the finance industry. $55k starting base salary out of college, $2-5k salary increase every 6 months. Great collegiate environment.

Cons

The consultant position is very mundane work where you have to solve everyone else's problems. This position teaches you close to zero skills that are transferable to other positions in finance. In any position at Factset, but primarily at the consultant level, you are dealing with problems that wall st does not want to deal with. A typical problem is "my numbers in Factset don't match Bloomberg's, can you help me?" I would highly not recommend this job to anyone with any ambition to make it in finance. Do not be fooled when they tell you that you can move up in the company and that CEO Phil Hadley started at the consultant level. From the consultant level, you either move into product development or a junior sales role. I worked at Factset for a year, and while I was there, I watched 6 consultant quit their jobs to move onto better opportunities. In short, Factset breeds complacency and can not retain any talent within the company.

When clients provide feedback like "Factset's numbers are always off," I would take note and fix it instead of justifying how they are actually right. Most of the management have the Bill Lumbergh personality.

There are newer employer reviews for FactSet

Worked for FactSet? Contribute to the Community!