There are newer employer reviews for FactSet

Takes top talent and with flexible approach

Current Employee - Research Associate in New York, NY
Current Employee - Research Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at FactSet

Pros

Intelligent and talented coworkers, flexible and creative, rewards hard work. From my expirience I would say this is one of the most rewarding and interesting jobs I have ever had. Great place to launch a career as it can open many doors down the road.

Cons

Disjointed organization, communication between department needs work.

Issues with the competitive landscape of the industry. While being at a smaller company has many advantages in certain arenas it is difficult to compete with the resources and manpower of some of its top competitors. It is a case where the company needs to carefully pick their battles moving forward to avoid getting stepped on by the two headed giant.

Flatter structure. Our advantage is being the smaller and more flexible player in our field.

471 Other Employee Reviews for FactSet (View Most Recent)

No Career Path; Many Managers are simply "Sales People".

Current Employee - Product Specialist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Product Specialist in New York, NY

I have been working at FactSet

Pros

Free soda (though the selection has slimmed down) and $8 a day at the deli (though the food gets old after a while).

However the free lunch basically means instead of a lunch break you sell yourself for $8. Assuming you make 50k+, $8 a day for 4 days isn't worth it.

Cons

The real life at FactSet: Once hired out of college you are a "consultant". However for the first 6 months-a year you are on a help desk taking phone calls (till they decide to move this function to India). The next year you are actually a consultant. However you then have a choice.

If you don't get poached by a client you career path could be "specialist". You then get a small bump in pay, still do help desk/consulting work for a particular product but then have the additional goal of doing sales. They will also stick you with existing accounts. If you are new you are likely to get some account that are about to have canceled. These numbers will count against you raise/bonus time your first year. You will then be told, oh well, we had that too, just sell more to prevent it. However you will need to depend on the sales generalist to sell. If you have a complex product you are then basically doing the sales job as well. Make a sale and the generalist will take credit. Don't make it, and it was your fault.

Your other career path is "Account Executive". Here you are a Jr Sales person working on existing companies rather than new business for a Sales Generalist. Again you will be given accounts in bad shape. Eventually you move to Sales Generalist where you just become another sales person till you have a bad year or two and then slowly pushed out.

The people who get treated decent are the Engineers and Development. The only issue in these roles is that your promotion is a little extra money and a nicer title. Real promotions take a long time and before you realize it you will be middle-aged and replacable by a 20-something year old. After-all for the first few years, you could be more senior, but you will have the same title as them.

The people telling you need to stay 5 years or so to get promoted want you to work cheaply and not move up for the next 5 years. At FactSet the rule is you can apply for a promotion after a year. However each time my particular manager would tell me how my position wasn't short-term and needed to be a long term 5-7 year position. They would tell me how they can't evaluate a potential promotion schedule until I'm in the position for 2 year. After 2 years of course, the promotion is in title, not really anything else.

The 3 weeks vacation is decent, but you end up working lots of additional hours. You really should get comp time for those hours.

There are other companies out there that treat their employees better.

Many product groups have managers which is unfortunately made up of sales people with little experience with the product. They get put there because they sold general FactSet. This is the wrong structure.

Our competitors have experienced people in the management of the group. How can a manager who knows little about the product supervise a specialist who knows more than him/her? Worst they managers drive the enhancement/development agenda without knowing what's going on for the first year or two. Hire outside-experienced people to be manager of groups OR promote experienced specialists, not just the top-performing sales person of the year. Selling and Managing have little in common.

Great place to start a career

Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at FactSet

Pros

Great place to start a career and learn about the industry and landscape. The environment is very flat so there isn't any great barrier between yourself and management and even senior management. There are a lot of opportunities as we are still growing to find what you like to do. Just need to be proactive as you create your own path.

Cons

Pay can be a lot lower at the start but no indication of how much potential there is. No one helps you so much with career progression, there isn't any advice given, but more a chance for you to create opportunities for yourself.

good job.