There are newer employer reviews for FactSet

Takes top talent and with flexible approach

Current Employee - Research Associate in New York, NY
Current Employee - Research Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at FactSet

Pros

Intelligent and talented coworkers, flexible and creative, rewards hard work. From my expirience I would say this is one of the most rewarding and interesting jobs I have ever had. Great place to launch a career as it can open many doors down the road.

Cons

Disjointed organization, communication between department needs work. Issues with the competitive landscape of the industry. While being at a smaller company has many advantages in certain arenas it is difficult to compete with the resources and manpower of some of its top competitors. It is a case where the company needs to carefully pick their battles moving forward to avoid getting stepped on by the two headed giant.

Advice to Management

Flatter structure. Our advantage is being the smaller and more flexible player in our field.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Great place to start a career

Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at FactSet

Pros

Great place to start a career and learn about the industry and landscape. The environment is very flat so there isn't any great barrier between yourself and management and even senior management. There are a lot of opportunities as we are still growing to find what you like to do. Just need to be proactive as you create your own path.

Cons

Pay can be a lot lower at the start but no indication of how much potential there is. No one helps you so much with career progression, there isn't any advice given, but more a chance for you to create opportunities for yourself.

Advice to Management

good job.

A place for a longterm career, and not suitable for those simply looking for a job.

Current Employee - Technical Manager in Norwalk, CT
    Current Employee - Technical Manager in Norwalk, CT

I have been working at FactSet

Pros

If you're willing to work hard the rewards are there. Unfortunately we don't make it easy for our new hires in Consulting and Software Engineering to see that personal and professional growth are rewarded in due course. I consider most of those I work with to be more than just coworkers, and I couldn't think of a better group of people to spend most of my waking hours with. Of course there are exceptions, but that is true everywhere.

Cons

If you want to be successful you pretty much need to give up everything outside of work (Other than socializing with coworkers at 11pm after work), even though there are few apparent rewards for doing so.

Advice to Management

FactSet is easily considered secretive, stuffy, and slow acting compared to the "Glamor" companies out there. That is a pity as that is not how it was when you or even I started here. With the now thousands of people working for you, most with less than 5 years experience, please don't grow distant by surrounding yourselves with people who only tell you what you want to hear. Just because someone is low on the totem pole doesn't mean that their opinion shouldn't be heard. Our culture of honesty and openess is easily eroded and could be destroyed if not continually tended to. A perception of high handed and out of touch management is still poor management despite the best of intentions, and it is a trap that can and should be avoided. I don't think that we're over the cliff by a long shot, although, some might say we already are, but there is growing dissent in the junior ranks who are only experiencing the "diet" or "lite" version of what makes us FactSet. By engaging them fully and openly we can prevent dilution of the core values and determination that got us to where we are today. Without it we lose the magic that makes us FactSet instead of being just like the monsterous, faceless, uncaring and intellectually bankrupt other companies that play in our space. The above focuses on the negatives, but it's easy to overlook the positives of your management that have got us to where we are now. It's not often you hear this, but thank you for doing a great job so far, and if you keep getting it right we can only continue to succeed.