FactSet

www.factset.com
There are newer employer reviews for FactSet

Great culture and they take care of their employees

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in New York, NY
Current Employee - Sales Specialist in New York, NY

I have been working at FactSet

Pros

* Great health insurance, dental, 401k
* Free lunch from Mon - Thu
* Free drinks and snacks
* Very healthy environment
* Rapid growth
* Pay for CFA

Cons

* Path of growth is limited; Specialist just means you're a support and sales hybrid

* The quality of Development and Engineers are so inconsistent. A few are sheer geniuses and too many inept developers and engineers.

* Development and engineering structure does not make sense; lack of cohesive development process.
Why are we recreating features in other applications that we already have in existing applications?

* I feel bad for our clients when they face very buggy softwares and bad quality data.

Development needs critical help. A lot of people from acquired firms get promoted to higher development positions even they are ill-equipped for the job. They carry with them their poor process and structure or lack thereof.

Products and databases should be well linked and not replicated. Also, I don't understand why we are paying money for information we already have in our database. Stop partnering with data vendors with sub-par quality data. Just read the enhancement requests and you can hear the clients screaming at the quality of our products and lack of data integrity.

At the route development and engineering is going, small companies with better development process will eventually take over. We can at least gather quality data since that is our future.

502 Other Employee Reviews for FactSet (View Most Recent)

Great place to start a career

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I worked at FactSet

Pros

Exposed to top-level decision makers on both the buy and sell side on a regular basis.
    Young, vibrant culture.
    Rapid advancement

Cons

Flat structure, so you hit a ceiling pretty fast, usually some sort of sales or product expert role.
    No 401k matching

keep up the good work

You can be a big fish in a small pond

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Norwalk, CT
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Norwalk, CT

I have been working at FactSet

Pros

It's a good, medium sized company to work at. Not so big that you don't have the chance to know everyone in your department (Engineering, Sales, Systems, etc), and not so small that everyone knows everything about everyone else.
    Managers work their way up through engineering, so you can talk to someone 4 levels above you about detailed technical problems if you want.
    If you work hard, you can get a good name and respect for yourself.

Cons

Most software engineering jobs involve some sort of on-call obligations. Usually it's not too bad, but some groups do get paid a lot.
    The pay could be better.

Pay engineers more.
    Come up with a sabbatical program to give employees a larger chunk of time off.
    Start an office in a more fun city, like Denver. Not all of your employees are all that interested in the financial system. It would help retention to have more chances for growth outside of Norwalk.

There are newer employer reviews for FactSet