Fairfax County Public Schools

There are newer employer reviews for Fairfax County Public Schools

Overall, a positive experience as a Substitute Teacher

Former Employee - Substitute Teacher in Fairfax, VA
Former Employee - Substitute Teacher in Fairfax, VA

I worked at Fairfax County Public Schools part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Most of the administrators and office staff where I worked were very professional welcoming. It seems like they really wanted me to succeed in my role as a substitute teacher. Many teachers also were good about leaving clear and comprehensive lesson plans for their subs.

Cons

The training for substitute teachers was lacking in quality and depth. It seems like they were mainly just interested in getting subs into the classroom. A small percentage of the teachers also left really poor lesson plans for their subs. That makes it so much harder for a sub to be an effective presence in the classroom.

More in depth training for subs on how to handle a classroom. Especially focus on how to keep the students focused and engaged in the lessons. In my experience, when I am left with good lesson plans, I experience less problems with class discipline.

112 Other Employee Reviews for Fairfax County Public Schools (View Most Recent)

Up and Down Teacher experience

Former Employee - Elementary Teacher in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Elementary Teacher in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Fairfax County Public Schools full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They usually are trying to keep up with the latest technology. There are many schools of all kinds so hopefully you can find a good fit. Excellent benefits.

Cons

Technology changes can happen at any time rather than in the summer like you might expect. Like any place else, your supervisor can change at any time to one who is not appreciative of your skills. Previous supervisor was easy to work for. Last supervisor's first year was so bad, I didn't quit only because of family needs. He improved significantly the next year.

If you are new management, try to listen to people's feedback first before making all of your changes. When you finally realized the changes you made were not working, you had alienated nearly everyone on staff. Teachers are part of the solution, not the problem. Just as in life there are different students, you need diversity in your teachers. Don't assume that someone who manages a class differently from you is not professional or competent. Your method may not work for that teacher because of their gender, age, personality etc.

Depends on administration

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Annandale, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Annandale, VA

I worked at Fairfax County Public Schools full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

good benefits, great website with loads of resources,professional development classes.

Cons

huge poor immigrant population requires schools to perform social service functions; teachers must fill the gap where parenting fails -- i.e. medical needs, food, coats..etc. adds stress to an already challenging job. Administration sets the tone for the school - need more oversight of this role by the school board.

Play an active role in your school - do not hide in your office.

There are newer employer reviews for Fairfax County Public Schools