There are newer employer reviews for Fairfax County Public Schools

Great place to work.....but

Former Employee - Teacher  in  Fairfax, VA
Former Employee - Teacher in Fairfax, VA

I worked at Fairfax County Public Schools

Pros

Working for FCPS as a teacher does have a lot of positives. The health benefits are great, and there are a ton of resources for teachers to grow and collaborate. Support from the administration is probably best judged on a school by school basis, but my principal was great. The job is great and I loved working with the kids. I had a ton of resources at my disposal and was able to be very successful.

Cons

The con of working for FCPS exists with the Fairfax County Board of Commisioners and the school board. Salaries have been frozen for several years and this essentially amounts to a pay cut. You are better off working at surrounding counties.

My advice would be to pay teachers what they deserve.

103 Other Employee Reviews for Fairfax County Public Schools (View Most Recent)

Great Experience

Former Employee - Substitute Teacher  in  Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Substitute Teacher in Fairfax, VA

I worked at Fairfax County Public Schools

Pros

Convenient, Good pay, Great co-workers, Flexible

Cons

No room for advancement, kids don't respond well to substitute teaching, unfulfilling work experience

Maybe offer a better 'integration system' for substitutes

Great work life balance

Former Employee - Teacher  in  Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Teacher in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Fairfax County Public Schools

Pros

The kids are a great subsection of the population, and have a great attitude. The new leadership coming in as of Fall 2010 is amazing, and expect great things from him and the people he brings with him.

Cons

The previous 6 year administration, destroyed the communal culture and drove out a lot of the best teachers and staff. The rest have lots of potential, but need a strong leader that can revitalize the community. The biggest challenge will be the 1940's authoritative managers that the previous administration put in place.

You have a great group of kids and teachers to work with, I wish you the best. Make sure to quickly identify, isolate, and remediate the large number of managers and few number of teachers that are the power players. The entire staff needs quick wins to re-empower their belief and commitment. They will determine how quickly and successfully you can revitalize the school. I have high hopes that Hayfield is on an upswing, and that it will shortly be a great place to work.

There are newer employer reviews for Fairfax County Public Schools

Worked for Fairfax County Public Schools? Contribute to the Community!