Fairfax County Virginia

A great place to work

Former Employee - SLP  in  Fairfax, VA
Former Employee - SLP in Fairfax, VA

I worked at Fairfax County Virginia full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great Benefits
Great Boss (within the HD)
reasonable productivity requirements
manageable caseload
government holidays
government retirement

Cons

homogenous caseload
many low income families services with difficulty carrying over clinic success
large demand for evening hours
my office didnt have a window
limited room for professional growth

57 Other Employee Reviews for Fairfax County Virginia (View Most Recent)

Really good place to work

Former Employee - Public Safety Communicator I  in  Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Public Safety Communicator I in Fairfax, VA

I worked at Fairfax County Virginia full-time for less than a year

Pros

When I worked there the workplace was friendly and had good camaraderie.

Cons

They don't always have the best people working as trainers. Some of them should NOT be training others.

There should be a comprehensive review every 3-4 months of a trainer's performance to evaluate how they're doing. A trainer should really want a trainee to get through and be successful and not just simply learn how to do the job.

Fairfax County Public Library

Former Employee - Associate Circulation Manager  in  Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Associate Circulation Manager in Fairfax, VA

I worked at Fairfax County Virginia full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Completely professional from start to finish. It was easy to advance in a career there if you wanted to do so-they 'grow' their workforce, offering free workshops on resume' writing, interviewing, etc. and offer career counseling as well. Every opportunity to move up was available and I was encouraged to go for more training and higher positions within one branch and throughout the library system. The process used to create a pool of ready-to-work library aides was somewhat different from what I was used to when applying for a job and I have used the system when hiring in my later career.
    Each one of my direct supervisors in the 6 years I worked for FCPL was professional, friendly and eager to help me advance and took time to coach and train me throughout the time I was working for each one.
    The director of the entire library is one of the best in the country and the whole operation is a class act.
    Can you tell I loved working there?

Cons

Not a whole lot-we could have used a bit more respect from the overall gov. officials and of course everyone wants more of the budget. It seems like libraries are one of the first things to go on the chopping block when services have to be cut due to economics. Too bad.

The then-mandated coaching of all employees is a tool I have used every since. I hope it hasn't been discarded. Keep up the good work.

There are newer employer reviews for Fairfax County Virginia

Worked for Fairfax County Virginia? Contribute to the Community!