Family Christian Stores

www.familychristian.com
  www.familychristian.com
There are newer employer reviews for Family Christian Stores

It's Okay for a part-time job

Current Employee - Sales Associate
Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Family Christian Stores part-time

Pros

Good employee discounts friendly co-workers

Cons

METRIC's Oh my goodness the pushing of the items at the counter and the World Vision kids

Focus on the customers not the metrics.

131 Other Employee Reviews for Family Christian Stores (View Most Recent)

Christian means nothing in the title of a company

I worked at Family Christian Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

When initially hired this company showed great signs of being a faith-based company. There might be hope if leadership is changed at the top.

Cons

Goals are not regular retail driven specific areas (i.e., inventory, $/transaction). They are based on items of highest profit margin at the time (i.e., World Vision sponsorships) and clearing out higher paid managers. The promotion prospects are very slim.

I love the customers, products and co-workers...but total disconnect from home office to field

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Family Christian Stores

Pros

Family Christian Store is a company with a heart. I love the products that we sell. The customers are great. I feel that corporate management is sincere in their desire to create families near and far. Every employee is eligible to go on a company-paid, week long mission trip after their 1 year of employment.

Cons

The worst thing about working for Family Christian is the relentless drive (from the regional manager) to be 'above company average' in every metric. My regional manager wants to be #1 in the company at any cost. There are so many things that we HAVE to sell, that we can't give the type of customer service that our customers deserve. One manager in my district was actually written up because of where her store fell on the 'scorecard' (which measures all stores in the company) Her store beat LY sales and she was over (corporate-set) goal in every metric, but she was written up for 'sub-standard' work. Another manager in my district was so afraid of losing her job because of these metrics, that she purchased items daily just to meet the goals. Several managers in my district have had to purchase items such as register tape, toilet paper, copy paper etc. Because the Reg. manager has put so much pressure on the District managers to keep the store budgets down, our requests for supplies are denied. I do not believe that corporate is aware of what is going on in the field.

Managers are required to work 45 hrs a week which is a joke. All managers work 55 to 60 hrs and are not compensated for the extra hours at all.

For a company that wants to 'create families near and far', your managers practically have to give up their families to work for FCS. Please do not trust your RVP's to uphold the values. I would really encourage you to seek out your store managers and using the open door policy, ask them what it is like to work for FCS. I firmly believe that the heart of FCS is to serve our customers and be the hands and feet of Jesus...but some of your RVP's have lost sight of this. FCS is about to lose some awesome managers because of the constant stress and pressure put on us from DM's and RVP's.

There are newer employer reviews for Family Christian Stores