There are newer employer reviews for Family Dollar Stores

Ready to Progress

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Cleveland, OH
Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Family Dollar Stores

Pros

On hand experience as well as availability to online learning. There is plenty of growth potential with lots of locations to relocate if needed.

Cons

Payroll hours are not sufficient enough to properly run the stores. Shrink and theft are major issues and the general public knows that there may only be 2 people in the entire store and how to steal from it without running the risk of getting caught. They also do not invest enough into their stores to properly minimize shrink.

You have to invest money to make money and that is true of any company. Family Dollar included. Stop trying to pad your own pockets and put that money back into the day to day operations of the stores. Your employees would be a lot happier with proper help and proper hours available instead of feeling like they have been whipped by the time they are done with their shift.

618 Other Employee Reviews for Family Dollar Stores (View Most Recent)

Educational but not for everyone.

Former Employee - District Training Manager  in  East Palatka, FL
    Former Employee - District Training Manager in East Palatka, FL

I worked at Family Dollar Stores

Pros

If you have a good DM you can learn the retail ropes. Plenty of opportunities because they churn through management.

Cons

Communications from upper management are convoluted. Too many Chiefs...

I know you guys have a direction and it has worked on paper but some basic employee relations changes would make the chain unstoppable.

Job to get by with, but not a place to build a career.

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Chattanooga, TN
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Chattanooga, TN

I have been working at Family Dollar Stores

Pros

Nice customers, job is fairly simple, paid holidays, comparable insurance benefits.

Cons

Most managers work all morning and some of afternoon by themselves (how much depending on store), so little is done that is outside of the checkout area (ringing up customers, computer terminal work) during this time. This also makes you more likely to be robbed, which happened at a store near me. Many stores are not in the best areas of town. Managers in the Chattanooga-N.Ga. area generally work 60-70 hr workweeks (I trained w/one that worked 75-80hrs a week!), but just paid for 52 (salary). Trucks are huge, lots of heavy lifting, takes forever to unload because they still unload them piece by piece instead of using pallets. Then it takes at least 2-3 days to put out. Small staffs, so most of duties are up to manager to complete. If you want a life outside of work, find another job! Pay is not that great either. I would have to say this is the worst job I have ever had, and I have worked in retail for almost 20 years! I had to work here for a short time after being laid off, It got me by, but I am so thankful I found another job!

One or two more part time employees in stores (part time, you wouldn't have to pay them benefits!) would help the managers not be so overworked. Make truck deliveries palletized, It takes 2 hours at least just to unload the trucks, you're wore out already by that time, and then you've got to kick it in gear to separate it and put it out. Quit working your salaried employees like slaves! Goodbye Family Dollar! Me and my family will never step through your doors again!

There are newer employer reviews for Family Dollar Stores

Worked for Family Dollar Stores? Contribute to the Community!