Family Dollar Stores

www.familydollar.com

Do not work here

Store Manager (Former Employee) Dayton, OH

ProsThere are only two pros. First would be that there are some amazing people in this company, especially at the store level. Second would be that there is a great opportunity for advancing.

ConsThe flip side to a pro is that you need to be careful what you wish for. I went in as an assistant manager with a goal to become a store manager in 6 months. I met that goal. I was given my store, inner city of course, with absolutely no training or support beyond what I learned as an assistant, and the pure luck that I was close to my former store manager. I was robbed twice in my first week. Each time I was required to fire the cashier that was robbed. This left me severely understaffed. After 3 weeks of non stop work (52 hours is the minimum, 70+ is the norm), I took a day off. I got a phone call from my district manager yelling at me for taking a day off when the store wasn't perfect. To help clarify, when I took this store over I found food on the shelves that had expired 6 months prior.

So I stepped down voluntarily (It wasn't even to the point of me being asked to step down). I decided I wanted to move and called my DM to discuss transferring. I was told I was on my own. After a month of getting the run around from different stores I left this company.

Other issues I encountered. While I was there I was told by loss management to find a reason to fire a cashier because he was once fired from another job for "theft of company time". I asked my DM what this meant, and was told "no one is perfect, there is always a reason to write someone up". We were constantly told that we were replaceable, and were often indirectly told to get rid of people because upper management didn't like them. A regular quote was (you need to get rid of people or I will have to come in and find a new manager who will). Their punishment is inconsistent purely based on how management feels about a person (I was replaced by a manager who was stepping down because he spent the weekend in jail for theft...notice how this is only met with requiring the manager to step down, whereas I was told to fire a cashier for scratching off a lottery ticket (theft of company time) at a job he had several years prior.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe consistent in rules and enforcement. Do not treat your employees as if they are all criminals. Help your employees, whether it be through training, or in transferring. Happy employees provide quality work. Unhappy employees talk crap about you and let everyone know how miserable they are.

Life is too short

Currently Employed (Current Employee) Matthews, NC

I have been working at Family Dollar Stores full-time

Pros: Informal communication between groups and departments, nice people to work. Cons: New leadership short sighted and intolerant, not a place to learn skills, just perform or perish. HR department is the worst I ever had to… Advice to Senior Management: Lead by example No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Horrible Company....worse decision I ever made

Store Manager (Former Employee) Brockton, MA

I worked at Family Dollar Stores full-time for less than a year

Pros: There are no pros for this place Cons: They expect managers to work 6 days a week...54 hours....but your lucky if that is all it takes for you to run your store. Assistant… Advice to Senior Management: Invest in your people, you might be surprised at how much more money you could make. What you have shown is that your store level… More
There are newer reviews on Family Dollar Stores.

Worked for Family Dollar Stores? Contribute to the Community!