worked 60-80 hours 2 1/2 yrs with only one other key holder

Former Employee - Store Manager in Amityville, NY
Former Employee - Store Manager in Amityville, NY

I worked at Family Dollar Stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

dm'sweren't too bad you could at least talk to them

Cons

no help, messy, long hours, no advancement

Advice to Management

better pay and more payroll

Other Employee Reviews for Family Dollar Stores

Do not work here

Former Employee - Store Manager in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Dayton, OH

I worked at Family Dollar Stores full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are only two pros. First would be that there are some amazing people in this company, especially at the store level. Second would be that there is a great opportunity for advancing.

Cons

The flip side to a pro is that you need to be careful what you wish for. I went in as an assistant manager with a goal to become a store manager in 6 months. I met that goal. I was given my store, inner city of course, with absolutely no training or support beyond what I learned as an assistant, and the pure luck that I was close to my former store manager. I was robbed twice in my first week. Each time I was required to fire the cashier that was robbed. This left me severely understaffed. After 3 weeks of non stop work (52 hours is the minimum, 70+ is the norm), I took a day off. I got a phone call from my district manager yelling at me for taking a day off when the store wasn't perfect. To help clarify, when I took this store over I found food on the shelves that had expired 6 months prior. So I stepped down voluntarily (It wasn't even to the point of me being asked to step down). I decided I wanted to move and called my DM to discuss transferring. I was told I was on my own. After a month of getting the run around from different stores I left this company. Other issues I encountered. While I was there I was told by loss management to find a reason to fire a cashier because he was once fired from another job for "theft of company time". I asked my DM what this meant, and was told "no one is perfect, there is always a reason to write someone up". We were constantly told that we were replaceable, and were often indirectly told to get rid of people because upper management didn't like them. A regular quote was (you need to get rid of people or I will have to come in and find a new manager who will). Their punishment is inconsistent purely based on how management feels about a person (I was replaced by a manager who was stepping down because he spent the weekend in jail for theft...notice how this is only met with requiring the manager to step down, whereas I was told to fire a cashier for scratching off a lottery ticket (theft of company time) at a job he had several years prior.

Advice to Management

Be consistent in rules and enforcement. Do not treat your employees as if they are all criminals. Help your employees, whether it be through training, or in transferring. Happy employees provide quality work. Unhappy employees talk crap about you and let everyone know how miserable they are.

2. Life is too short

Current Employee - Currently Employed in Matthews, NC
    Current Employee - Currently Employed in Matthews, NC

I have been working at Family Dollar Stores full-time

Pros

Informal communication between groups and departments, nice people to work.

Cons

New leadership short sighted and intolerant, not a place to learn skills, just perform or perish. HR department is the worst I ever had to deal with and store operations only know how to say "no" to any new ideas. marketing department is run by one of the worst leaders I ever came across,, does not lead by example and throws his subordinates under the bus to save his own skin.

Advice to Management

Lead by example