Family Dollar Stores

www.familydollar.com
  www.familydollar.com
There are newer employer reviews for Family Dollar Stores

Simply the worst company I have ever worked for...

Former Employee - Store Manager in Milwaukee, WI
Former Employee - Store Manager in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Family Dollar Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people I worked with were second to none. They worked hard for me and I made lasting relationships.

Cons

You as a store manager are expected to work 6 days a week, upwards of 60 to 70 hours. You are expected to unload a 1500 piece truck with only 2 people in under 2 hours. I usually made it close to the time, but most people can't. Most of the stores are in rough areas, with high crime rates and depressed areas. They put the safe right up front. I was robbed 7 times in 3 years working with the company. I had guns pointed at various body parts including my head. I was injured in one of the robberies and had my rotator cuff torn. They have no compassion for your family time and if your injured and have to have surgery. They expect you to work injured. I will be 10 percent disabled for the rest of my life because they would not adhere to my Dr's limitations. They constantly look for ways to fire your associates. They don't give raises to their best employees until it is time to lose them. I trained new store managers. They gave me the laziest, meanest and grouchy people to train. Even after I said they wouldn't work out, they said well you trained them the best you could. They ran the stores into the ground, so we had to go clean them up after a few months. I ran a very clean and profitable store. My employees were happy as well as the neighborhood enjoyed my store. Just because my arm is permanently disabled and I can't work 60 hors a week anymore, they took me off the schedule and said they would find me another job. They never called me back and the only reason I knew they let me go was with a letter from my insurance company saying I was cancelled. Simply cowardly!

Invest in your people and treat them right. Give them raises and give them more than 1 day off.

689 Other Employee Reviews for Family Dollar Stores (View Most Recent)

worked 60-80 hours 2 1/2 yrs with only one other key holder

Former Employee - Store Manager in Amityville, NY
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Amityville, NY

I worked at Family Dollar Stores full-time (more than an year)

Pros

dm'sweren't too bad you could at least talk to them

Cons

no help, messy, long hours, no advancement

better pay and more payroll

Do not work here

Former Employee - Store Manager in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Dayton, OH

I worked at Family Dollar Stores full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There are only two pros. First would be that there are some amazing people in this company, especially at the store level. Second would be that there is a great opportunity for advancing.

Cons

The flip side to a pro is that you need to be careful what you wish for. I went in as an assistant manager with a goal to become a store manager in 6 months. I met that goal. I was given my store, inner city of course, with absolutely no training or support beyond what I learned as an assistant, and the pure luck that I was close to my former store manager. I was robbed twice in my first week. Each time I was required to fire the cashier that was robbed. This left me severely understaffed. After 3 weeks of non stop work (52 hours is the minimum, 70+ is the norm), I took a day off. I got a phone call from my district manager yelling at me for taking a day off when the store wasn't perfect. To help clarify, when I took this store over I found food on the shelves that had expired 6 months prior.

So I stepped down voluntarily (It wasn't even to the point of me being asked to step down). I decided I wanted to move and called my DM to discuss transferring. I was told I was on my own. After a month of getting the run around from different stores I left this company.

Other issues I encountered. While I was there I was told by loss management to find a reason to fire a cashier because he was once fired from another job for "theft of company time". I asked my DM what this meant, and was told "no one is perfect, there is always a reason to write someone up". We were constantly told that we were replaceable, and were often indirectly told to get rid of people because upper management didn't like them. A regular quote was (you need to get rid of people or I will have to come in and find a new manager who will). Their punishment is inconsistent purely based on how management feels about a person (I was replaced by a manager who was stepping down because he spent the weekend in jail for theft...notice how this is only met with requiring the manager to step down, whereas I was told to fire a cashier for scratching off a lottery ticket (theft of company time) at a job he had several years prior.

Be consistent in rules and enforcement. Do not treat your employees as if they are all criminals. Help your employees, whether it be through training, or in transferring. Happy employees provide quality work. Unhappy employees talk crap about you and let everyone know how miserable they are.

There are newer employer reviews for Family Dollar Stores