There are newer employer reviews for Family Dollar Stores

It's okay mostly because the people I work with are cool.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Parkersburg, WV
Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Parkersburg, WV

I have been working at Family Dollar Stores full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Simple work, not a lot of stress, pays weekly. GM works around my college schedule. Asst Manager isn't salary.

Cons

The pay sucks majorly. No discounts to speak of, I mean really, every retail job I've had gave you at least 10-20%. When you have truck day (one day every week) your day is wasted because you are basically on call to show up at a different time each week for about 5 hours and it is fairly fast paced moderately hard work. You have to break down every box manually when stocking shelves, time consuming and NO BOX COMPACTOR SUCKS.

Cashier pay is minimum wage which is to be expected, but Assistant Manager starts at $8/hr which is really not expected, it is a huge disappointment, that is 70 cents above minimum wage here, does not line up with the responsibilities. The Asst before me quit after one day. I'm sticking to it for a little while to see if this so-called manager meeting gets Asst any raises.

638 Other Employee Reviews for Family Dollar Stores (View Most Recent)

Never Enough

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Family Dollar Stores full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Being able to have hands on experience assisting and getting to know customers has truly been a pleasure. Professional advancement is another great thing about the company.

Cons

The company sets to high of standards and very little pay. I am really confused how corporate offices can set monthly budget amounts so low for high yielding stores. i was shocked when I started working that the company does not offer employee discounts!

I was promoted to Assistant Store Manager withing three months of joining Family Dollar as a result of my hard work. I walked into this company with no prior knowledge and have exceeded what has been expected of me. I know I am ready for my own store. Why is it that some people have such an easy offer at store management and others don't? My advice to management?... Timothy Davis is ready to manage his own store!

With ambition and hard work there are alot of opportunities, working with Family Dollar has made me very proud of myself

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Seagoville, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Seagoville, TX

I have been working at Family Dollar Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

*The everyday customers
    *Opportunities
    *Stability, I really believe even in a recession Family Dollar will still be operating.

Cons

*Working later takes some adjusting but will be worth it in the long run.

Just because the employee might be younger still listen to their ideas. It usually makes it easier.

There are newer employer reviews for Family Dollar Stores