There are newer employer reviews for Family Dollar Stores

Good customer Base, Bad base Management

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Allenstown, NH
Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Allenstown, NH

I worked at Family Dollar Stores full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Loyal Customers, Good Benifits, Decent People

Cons

If an assistant is less than 1 yr experience they will take the fall alot for the stores Shrinkage. It also depends on the stores rep, fellow assist managers and the team work, WHere I worked There was backstabbing and sabotage by the other assistant who was there for 4 yrs and hasn't made management.

When Ur suppost to b training an assistant for Manager role U should spend more than 8 hours with them for review of policies and how to run the business.. I recommend 20 hrs min..

639 Other Employee Reviews for Family Dollar Stores (View Most Recent)

OK place to work

Current Employee - Manager in Matthews, NC
    Current Employee - Manager in Matthews, NC

I have been working at Family Dollar Stores full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great mid-level management and talent.

Cons

The pay and benefits are below industry standards. Need to be improved greatly.

Think Twice, then a 3rd time...

Former Employee - District Manager in Tidewater, VA
    Former Employee - District Manager in Tidewater, VA

I worked at Family Dollar Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Family Dollar strives for GREAT Customer Service. Has plenty of Policies and Procedures for all to follow, they are very consistent with "coaching and counseling" to change the team members or CHANGE the team members.

Cons

Poor payroll hours, most managers and assistant managers are alone in their stores until 2 or 3 pm which makes them easy targets in the mornings. To many tasks to complete at the store level leaving 90% of the stores unsuccessful in one area or another. Poor work/life balance. If you're salaried you should be prepared to work 70 hours plus to be successful whether your're a Store Manager or above due to the lack of payroll, "YOU" make it up. A lot of Micro Managing.

Put payroll into the stores to have at least 2 team members per store during open hours. Cutting payroll to make your plan isn't the answer, ever. Make sure ALL team member including field management have a quality balance of work and family. You've forgotten the FAMILY part of Family Dollar only to focus on the DOLLAR part. I was told "Change the people or CHANGE the people" that's the new key phrase, so I couldn't change the job so I CHANGED the job.

There are newer employer reviews for Family Dollar Stores