Family Dollar Stores
www.familydollar.com Matthews, NC 5000+ Employees

Think Twice, then a 3rd time...

District Manager (Former Employee)
Tidewater, VA

ProsFamily Dollar strives for GREAT Customer Service. Has plenty of Policies and Procedures for all to follow, they are very consistent with "coaching and counseling" to change the team members or CHANGE the team members.

ConsPoor payroll hours, most managers and assistant managers are alone in their stores until 2 or 3 pm which makes them easy targets in the mornings. To many tasks to complete at the store level leaving 90% of the stores unsuccessful in one area or another. Poor work/life balance. If you're salaried you should be prepared to work 70 hours plus to be successful whether your're a Store Manager or above due to the lack of payroll, "YOU" make it up. A lot of Micro Managing.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut payroll into the stores to have at least 2 team members per store during open hours. Cutting payroll to make your plan isn't the answer, ever. Make sure ALL team member including field management have a quality balance of work and family. You've forgotten the FAMILY part of Family Dollar only to focus on the DOLLAR part. I was told "Change the people or CHANGE the people" that's the new key phrase, so I couldn't change the job so I CHANGED the job.

Family Dollar is an absolutely HORRIBLE place to work if you want to be properly payed for what you have to do...

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee)
    Woonsocket, RI

I worked at Family Dollar Stores full-time for less than a year

Pros: The only pro would be that if you're an assistant… Cons: If you're an assistant manager, you get payed a little over 9 dollars per hour to start. The customers are mostly horrible. Management doesn't… Advice to Senior Management: Pay your employees more if you want to keep them… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Good customer Base, Bad base Management

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee)
    Allenstown, NH

I worked at Family Dollar Stores full-time for more than a year

Pros: Loyal Customers, Good Benifits, Decent People Cons: If an assistant is less than 1 yr experience they will take the fall alot for the stores Shrinkage. It also depends on the stores… Advice to Senior Management: When Ur suppost to b training an assistant for Manager role U should spend more than 8… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Family Dollar Stores.

Worked for Family Dollar Stores? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Family Dollar Stores reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Family Dollar Stores CEO Howard R. Levine. All reviews posted anonymously by Family Dollar Stores employees.