Family Dollar Stores

There are newer employer reviews for Family Dollar Stores

Area Manager

Former Employee - Area Manager in Odessa, TX
Former Employee - Area Manager in Odessa, TX

I worked at Family Dollar Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pay is decent, the people are great, and there is a lot to learn in distrbution. You can move up here without a degree. So if you are a hard worker that goes noticed on the team member level.

Cons

was promoted to an area manager after being a team member for 5 months. I thought I would recieve some training. Nothing. I was thrown out on the floor and expected to be perfect. I was constantly getting yelled at for nothing and had to work really long hours. Sometimes I would be there for 15 hours overnight. I worked hard for that company and felt like they just wanted to break me. I left there many days in tears and stress out.

Don't micromanage. You have lost a lot of good people because of the way you treat them. People don't liked to get yelled at everyday. Listen to ideas, just don't dismiss them.

695 Other Employee Reviews for Family Dollar Stores (View Most Recent)

Good customer Base, Bad base Management

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Allenstown, NH
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Allenstown, NH

I worked at Family Dollar Stores full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Loyal Customers, Good Benifits, Decent People

Cons

If an assistant is less than 1 yr experience they will take the fall alot for the stores Shrinkage. It also depends on the stores rep, fellow assist managers and the team work, WHere I worked There was backstabbing and sabotage by the other assistant who was there for 4 yrs and hasn't made management.

When Ur suppost to b training an assistant for Manager role U should spend more than 8 hours with them for review of policies and how to run the business.. I recommend 20 hrs min..

Family Dollar is an absolutely HORRIBLE place to work if you want to be properly payed for what you have to do...

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Woonsocket, RI
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Woonsocket, RI

I worked at Family Dollar Stores full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The only pro would be that if you're an assistant manager, you're ALMOST always guarenteed 35+ hours

Cons

If you're an assistant manager, you get payed a little over 9 dollars per hour to start. The customers are mostly horrible. Management doesn't care about their employees and expects them to go above and beyond for such limited pay and recognition. You can spend every day cleaning the store top to bottom and the type of clientele that shops here will always ruin it immediately.

Pay your employees more if you want to keep them from stealing/leaving

There are newer employer reviews for Family Dollar Stores