current store manager

Current Employee - Store Manager
Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Family Dollar Stores full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

If you do a good job and you have a good inventory you basically run the store by yourself. I enjoy people and enjoy what I do so I do like my job very much. You get to teach your staff how to become a good manager and it is nice to beable to help others move up. The prices are good and I like to provide my customers with a better quality of life by running a discount store.

Cons

If you have a good dm, which I do, your job is enjoyable as long as you don't have a life outside of work, you don't mind working 12 hours without a break or ever sitting down and you don't mind being the accountant, loss prevention person, plumber, computer technician, stocker and cashier. The corporation top leaders make an incredible amount of money while giving cashiers and managers as little as possible. Payroll hours given to run a store are insane. If you get hurt good luck with the people I've seen hurt on the job you would be better off keeping your mouth shut and get your own doctor. The corporation has taken over ordering and you now cannot get the inventory you need in your store. I've worked here for almost a decade and never ran out of products my customers needed. Now I cannot provide what my customers needed. I am alone in my store for more than half the day and I do feel unsafe sometimes. I know my boss cares about my staff but truly I think corporation has to stop hoarding all the profits and make the stores safer and less stressful to work in.

Advice to Management

Listen to your manager's inventory needs they know their customers needs. Give the stores enough hours to safely run their stores. No one should ever be alone in their store. Your wages should be competitive to other stores in each neighborhood. When 15 year olds make more money than your assistant managers are paid it is very disrespectful to ask them to work as hard as they do for peanuts. Since everyone at the top makes incredible money they should reflect on it is all the people underneath them that get them their money.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Bad Bad

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Family Dollar Stores full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a job. They provide you with a paycheck.

Cons

Very poor working conditions. Low pay. Long hours. Unsafe working environment. Not nearly adequate payroll. I had my car vandalized in parking lot, and the the front window of store was shattered. I got out before I was next. I've been in retail well over 25 yrs., the expectations here are unbelievable. They run on the bare minimum, nothing more. I prayed for a way out and my prayer was answered.

Advice to Management

Payroll for stores.

Stay Away!!!!

Current Employee - Cashier in Staten Island, NY
    Current Employee - Cashier in Staten Island, NY

I have been working at Family Dollar Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are no pros that comes to mind at this moment.

Cons

There is no balance between your work life and your personal life,they expect way too much from you with the little pay you get,unprofessional work environment. the stores are usually in the worst neighborhoods.this company will not appreciate you or anything you do. you can work an 8-10 hour shift with no breaks. the stores are usually understaffed and they could care less about a work life balance. You don't even get employee discounts! stay away and run for the hills!! this is hands down the worst company I have ever worked for in my life!

Advice to Management

Hire more staff to create more of a balance for staff,value and respect your staff!