Family Heritage Life Insurance

There are newer employer reviews for Family Heritage Life Insurance

Great People, Focus on Leadership Development, You get out what You put in

Current Employee - Sales Agent, Sales Manager, Trainer, Recruiter in Denver, CO
Current Employee - Sales Agent, Sales Manager, Trainer, Recruiter in Denver, CO

I have been working at Family Heritage Life Insurance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The sales managers and agents take a vested interest in you and seeing you do well. You get top-notch coaching and mentoring from people in your area who have proven results.

They teach you to work hard on yourself instead of just working hard on your business. If you read the negative reviews, they're all from people who just weren't willing to work hard....especially not on themselves. If you want some things to change in your life, you have to change some things!

You can work anywhere you want. If you want to work 10 minutes from home, you can - they do a great job here of training you how to sell B2B instead of just knocking on doors. If you like working in more rural areas, you'll have to travel more, but it's an easier sale. There's trade-offs with everything in life. One of my good friends used to work for a pharma company doing outside sales, and he got a $60k base + commissions + company perks (car, expense account, etc). He quit after a year because he put 60,000 miles on his car, never saw his wife, and worked with a lot of people who lacked character. I've never had that here. I've always gotten out what I put in.

Advance according to YOUR efforts! Your commission increases and your promotions to training/management roles are completely dependent on your performance, NOT politics or seniority. I was able to be in a training role in just my third month and by the end of my first year was recruiting, managing, and training. I love that I get to do the parts of the career that I love way more than the parts that I don't love :)

They do what they say they're going to do: the CEO, the sales directors, the sales managers - it's nice working with people you can count on.

Cons

You MUST put in the work. When you're new, it's 50-55 hours a week (so what...I worked that many hours for a LOT less money as an employee at jobs that I hated)...when you've settled in after a few months, it's 40-45.

You have to go out and talk to strangers. Call it what you will...cold-calling, pipelining, prospecting, etc. You will need to build your book of business, and the cheapest most effective way to do it is by starting out cold-calling. They train you, though, to be a professional instead of just being a peddler like so many other salespeople out there. It's not that bad. Eventually your business comes primarily from referrals, not from cold-calling.

Nothing worthwhile ever comes easy. If this was an easy career, everyone would make six figures a year and take 30 weeks off. You can do that, but it's going to take several years worth of hard work. The people I've seen that have quit spent more time looking for shortcuts than they did working hard - that's a recipe for disaster in this business, but it's the same in ANY business....unless you can trick someone into paying you hourly or salary for just showing up and going through the motions (and that's what they usually do. Then they complain about the people they work with, and their boss, and they can't move up, and they don't make enough money, and they don't get enough time off....LOL I think you get the point).

You don't get benefits. For those who complain about this, wake-up: this is YOUR OWN BUSINESS. Yes, you're 1099 which means you're self-employed. All self-employed people pay for their own insurance and set up their own Roth IRA or retirement plan etc. If you aren't cut out to buy your own insurance, you're probably not cut out to be wealthy :)

Keep doing what you're doing. The only thing I would change would be to increase name-recognition. The company just went from being privately-held to publicly-held, so that will probably change very quickly.

34 Other Employee Reviews for Family Heritage Life Insurance (View Most Recent)

Completely deceptive hiring practices and poor management support

Current Employee - Sales Agent in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Agent in Houston, TX

I have been working at Family Heritage Life Insurance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible work schedule or not.

Cons

Family Heritage tries to entice potential candidates with the story that they can have a great career by selling 1 policy a day. They go on to say that this goal is not a stretch. The fact is some of their best agents have a tough time meeting this goal. The vast majority of agents don't ever come close. As a result, there is extremely high turnover in agents.

But high turnover is just part of the game. They make money off of you whether or not you stay because it is a pyramid game. And when you leave, they take the commissions that you've earned. It really is a terrible scam.

Plus, they market their policies to the poor and ignorant. They don't try selling their policies to middle to upper income folks. Anyone with a little smarts won't buy their policies. I've seen some of their top professionals complete applications while the individual was saying that they couldn't afford it or needed more time to consider the policy---terrible strong arm tactics.

First be honest with potential recruits. Second, get real jobs and stop the scam!!

Family Heritage's positive, successful business culture is contagious!

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Jefferson City, MO
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Jefferson City, MO

I have been working at Family Heritage Life Insurance full-time (less than an year)

Pros

*Great training and support in your business career
    *Wholesome Family Values
    *Team supportive atmosphere

Cons

Starting in this business at my age(approaching 60) has proved to be a significant challenge in some respects, but has also worked to my benefit at times in dealing with the public.

There are newer employer reviews for Family Heritage Life Insurance