Family Heritage Life Insurance

www.familyheritagelife.com

A lifestyle career that can provide unique opportunities in life.

Current Employee - Sales Representative  in  Athens, GA
Current Employee - Sales Representative in Athens, GA

Pros

Like any successful sales company, I've found FHL to offer a proven sales system, with ample support and training, and a culture that is fun to be a part of. In any sales position, their are the innate challenges that always exist (rejection, attitude, etc.). During my 4+ years, everyday hasn't been perfect, but I've found FHL to offer the necessary support when I need it, to empower me as the sales representative and to encourage and recognize my success.

I find the incentives that are offered to be generous, paid in addition to our regular commissions. Also, the semi-annual sales meetings are a fun part of the culture and has been a very rewarding way to see parts of the country I might not have otherwise visited.

Through my interaction with the home office and underwriting, my opinion is that they follow-through on doing what they are supposed to, sometimes even expediting claims to offer better customer service. I sincerely appreciate working with a company that has an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau (BBB).

No job is perfect, no career is perfect. For me, FHL has been a great vehicle to provide income for my family, while allowing me to pursue the other things in life that are personal to me. Some days can be more challenging than others. A career in sales, or commission sales, can be challenging, but the right activities over a long period of time always seem to prevail.

Cons

The job is what it is. Not always your typical 9-5 job. A career in sales (commission, or non-commission) is certainly not for everyone, nor would a job as a bank teller leave every individual feeling fulfilled. If you're interviewing for a position, do your own due diligence by asking any and all questions. Ask to speak to other agents. Ask to shadow another agent. I've found self-motivated and self-disciplined individuals to be experience more success, quickly.

It's disappointing that negative reviews (for any insurance company for that matter) appear to be written by individuals that find it easier to place blame on external factors (the company) rather than internal factors (ourselves). Certainly, I cannot speak for each person's experience, everyone is different, motivated in different ways and reacts differently to challenges, but in my 4+ years with FHL, but I believe that the amount of success each individual experiences is directly related to the choices they make.

Other reviews for Family Heritage Life Insurance

best opportunity in america hands down!!!

Current Employee - Sales Agent  in  Lubbock, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Agent in Lubbock, TX

Pros

great compensation. and and excellent culture and company.

Cons

long working hours. must have excellent self discipline.

Great People, Focus on Leadership Development, You get out what You put in

Current Employee - Sales Agent, Sales Manager, Trainer, Recruiter  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Agent, Sales Manager, Trainer, Recruiter in Denver, CO

Pros

The sales managers and agents take a vested interest in you and seeing you do well. You get top-notch coaching and mentoring from people in your area who have proven results.

They teach you to work hard on yourself instead of just working hard on your business. If you read the negative reviews, they're all from people who just weren't willing to work hard....especially not on themselves. If you want some things to change in your life, you have to change some things!

You can work anywhere you want. If you want to work 10 minutes from home, you can - they do a great job here of training you how to sell B2B instead of just knocking on doors. If you like working in more rural areas, you'll have to travel more, but it's an easier sale. There's trade-offs with everything in life. One of my good friends used to work for a pharma company doing outside sales, and he got a $60k base + commissions + company perks (car, expense account, etc). He quit after a year because he put 60,000 miles on his car, never saw his wife, and worked with a lot of people who lacked character. I've never had that here. I've always gotten out what I put in.

Advance according to YOUR efforts! Your commission increases and your promotions to training/management roles are completely dependent on your performance, NOT politics or seniority. I was able to be in a training role in just my third month and by the end of my first year was recruiting, managing, and training. I love that I get to do the parts of the career that I love way more than the parts that I don't love :)

They do what they say they're going to do: the CEO, the sales directors, the sales managers - it's nice working with people you can count on.

Cons

You MUST put in the work. When you're new, it's 50-55 hours a week (so what...I worked that many hours for a LOT less money as an employee at jobs that I hated)...when you've settled in after a few months, it's 40-45.

You have to go out and talk to strangers. Call it what you will...cold-calling, pipelining, prospecting, etc. You will need to build your book of business, and the cheapest most effective way to do it is by starting out cold-calling. They train you, though, to be a professional instead of just being a peddler like so many other salespeople out there. It's not that bad. Eventually your business comes primarily from referrals, not from cold-calling.

Nothing worthwhile ever comes easy. If this was an easy career, everyone would make six figures a year and take 30 weeks off. You can do that, but it's going to take several years worth of hard work. The people I've seen that have quit spent more time looking for shortcuts than they did working hard - that's a recipe for disaster in this business, but it's the same in ANY business....unless you can trick someone into paying you hourly or salary for just showing up and going through the motions (and that's what they usually do. Then they complain about the people they work with, and their boss, and they can't move up, and they don't make enough money, and they don't get enough time off....LOL I think you get the point).

You don't get benefits. For those who complain about this, wake-up: this is YOUR OWN BUSINESS. Yes, you're 1099 which means you're self-employed. All self-employed people pay for their own insurance and set up their own Roth IRA or retirement plan etc. If you aren't cut out to buy your own insurance, you're probably not cut out to be wealthy :)

Keep doing what you're doing. The only thing I would change would be to increase name-recognition. The company just went from being privately-held to publicly-held, so that will probably change very quickly.

There are newer employer reviews for Family Heritage Life Insurance.

Worked for Family Heritage Life Insurance? Contribute to the Community!